Large Motor During Center/Free Play

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lilkidteach, Jul 8, 2012.

1. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Jul 8, 2012

I read somewhere ( I don't know where I wish I did) that it is good to have a large motor activity out during center time/free play. It was suggested to have an activity for one or two students only. My class always has 30 minutes for large motor time either outside or in the large motor room (I am half day 3.5 hours). I really like the idea of having something in the classroom also. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what activities do you have. I started doing it for the last couple of weeks of school I was given a two person parachute (pretty neat) and I have a neat ball to throw around but that is all I got to.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 8, 2012

Buy some funky duct tape and the kids can practice jumping over the line. They can also play a game together like Simon Says (start on the line - Simon Says step forward/backward/jump, etc...) and it also practices positional words.

Bean bag toss games - even if they are just aiming for a trashcan or something

Hula hoops - even if they don't master it, they will have fun trying ;)

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 8, 2012

I have put a small climber in my classroom.

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 9, 2012

Agreed! Then as a whole group you can play "Hula Huddle" (kinda like musical chairs but with hoops ~ eventually incorporating math, etc. !! So many uses!

Also, another I ike to have in the class is a "track" or what have you on the floor. I will have colored duck tape on the floor in large boxes (or any other pattern) and have the kids take turn jumping ~ always starting with them jumping from ONE box to the next with them landing on both feet at the same time. It can get rowdy, but the kids love it AND let's please get those gross motors working every chance we can!:woot:

6. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for the ideas. I really like the bean bag tossing and hula hoops. I want something that just one or two children can do without adult help. I want to make a list of things and a set of supplies so I can just take out something everyday without a lot of prep work. I was thinking about making some yarn balls to throw around and catch.