Large Class Size

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Magsanay, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Magsanay

Magsanay New Member

Aug 8, 2009

Aloha,

This year I will have 28 students with a teacher aide. This will be my 10th year teaching, so I feel very comfortable in the classroom, but I have never had a class this big. I was wondering if anyone had any "tricks" or words of advice for teaching/managing a class this size. I know I will have to change many routines this year, and would love to hear about new ideas which have worked for you.

Mahalo

3. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 8, 2009

I had 35 my first year and NO aide!! I found that if I was tough and consistent, anything would work.

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 8, 2009

ATM, I have 28 4th graders and no aide. This is my first full year of teaching. I'm going to be tough tough tough and consistent.

5. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

I have 28 and no aide. Plan a good seating plan, work with group tables (i have 4 groups of 6 and 1 group of 4). I have a group reward program - points for table tidiness, sensible work habits, quick transitions etc. I use groups a lot - each group is mixed ability. Good luck

6. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

After five years of 17:1, our classes have jumped to 28, no aide, all ELL except for 4 kiddos last year This was second grade, but was true for first and K also.

Everything routine (passing out papers, lining up, class bathroom breaks) is going to take longer than what you are previously used to. Even with consistent routines, more bodies just take more time.

Also, you may find that you are not able to do some of your favorite hands on activities/ art projects etc. It just becomes to hard to manage. It's sad, but that may be the trade off our schools are willing to make for larger class sizes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't feel guilty if you can't get as much done as with smaller classes, or do all of the neat projects as previously. It just isn't possible as our classes get huge.

7. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

I have 27 students this year, 3 more than last year and I am the inclusion teacher...I have an aide for one hour a day and I'm on my own for the rest of the time. I'm also in a portable, which means space is extremely limited...If I get another student, I think we may bust at the seams!! :haha:

This year I am doing the responsive classroom approach and I'm hoping that will help with managment. So far, I have a great group of kids, but we're still in the honeymoon stage. I plan on being consistent with my rules and stay on top of them.. It's not going to be easy!!:unsure:

Magsanay, where in Hawaii are you?? We went to Maui this summer and I'm missing it big time!! If I have it my way, we'll be going back next summer...I love Maui!! :wub:

8. Iguanamom

Iguanamom New Member

Aug 9, 2009

I'm sorry to hear about your large class size. That's really rough. Organization is the key, and saving your energy for what matters most is another important aspect. One way to be organized is to have table folders (or group folders, if you have groups of desks instead of tables). I make a form that I slip into a clear plastic holder on the left inside pocket (made from stapling overhead projector plastic cut to the size) that has the name of the students and Mon.,Tues.,....etc I put any work that will be assigned that day on the left side of the table folder, and when they complete it they put it on the right side of the table folder. At the end of the day we check together anything that is easy to check together, and they staple all the day's work together. After school I can check the rest (like a writing assignment) and I write notes on the left side of the table folder (like 'please fix your mini math) and I put a star if all is well. I would put back on the left anything they still need to fix (which has a note on the form so it can't be forgotten) and I take out all the papers from the right and put them in an identical table folder that is for finished papers from that table only.
    Since the papers are stapled together it is easy to see how they are doing, to see what is missing, and to keep track of things. Since I put them in another table folder I never have huge messes of papers to be sorted. On Friday, we pass back the week's work by giving the table their 'finished work' out of the finished folders, and fill out a "How I did in School This Week". That form goes in front of the finished work, and it all goes in a folder to go home on Fridays. The "How I Did i School this Week" (I call the HIDI) is signed by the parents and returned to me along with the school-to-home folder. This HIDI includes a spot for me to write a note to parents and for parents to write a note to me. It also includes any info I need to let parents know..such as upcoming events. The students rate their work for the week, they tell about any behavior issues and there is more to it (but that's another story).

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

Where in Maui did you go? DH and I have been twice and spent the bulk of our time in Hana.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

Keep them busy, busy, busy...