Large Class Games

Discussion in 'P.E. Teachers' started by Bria, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Bria

Bria New Member

Aug 15, 2019

I am heading into my sixth year of teaching elementary PE and our county has decided to change our encore schedule this year. I have now been tasked to teach a 20 minute recess block to an entire grade level at a time. Looking for games and activities to do with 60+ kids in a gym with grades K-2. I do have some ideas for grades 3-5. Outdoor space is very limited as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2019

That seems unreasonable. I don't think class size regulations would even allow for that many students with only one adult here. Do you have an aide or someone else with you at least? I don't have suggestions for activities, as PE is not my area of expertise. I'm just shocked that any district would think it appropriate to leave one adult with 60+ primary grade students.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2019

60 kids is a lot! I am sorry! A long time ago, we'd have 44 kids in PE at the same time. That is not AS bad. The PE teachers had the kids do a lot of running around a track, stretching, jumping jacks, push ups, and different exercises. I do not remember them playing games.
    They focused more on keeping it safe and under control. In place of games, they'd let the kids have free play on the playground on Fridays. ( if they had behaved that week)

If I had 60 kids for PE, I think I'd play Hide and Seek. I'd tell them to hide and maybe wait 25 minutes to seek.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2019

Our Phys Ed teacher has our youngest students play a variety of tag games; he seems to have a tag game for every occasion! Here's a link to a few to get started. He also works on simple throw, catch and bounce skills with different sizes of balls, and a variety of movements--jump, hop, skip. He always has music playing which the kids love! There are almost always anywhere between 40 and 60 kids in our gym (2 classes), although there are two teachers. Hopefully you won't be alone; there needs to be someone else with you in case of accidents.

6. Bria

Bria New Member

Aug 19, 2019

I will have 2-3 of there classroom teachers with me as well. This will at least help with supervision. Thank you for the responses so far!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2019

If you have other adults as well, you could have them rotate through centers in the corners of the gym: balls in one, skipping ropes in another, hoops in a third, and beanbags in the fourth. Set a goal or task for each piece of equipment and rotate every 4 minutes or so.