Large Age Gap

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TchrMelissa, Apr 26, 2014.

1. TchrMelissa

TchrMelissa Rookie

Apr 26, 2014

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and also new to the kind of classroom I'm teaching. In the past, my classrooms have been very age specific. What I mean by that is... it's been PreK (4-5) or Preschool (3-4). No combined, etc.

This year, my class is VERY spread out when it comes to age and developmental level. I have young 3 year olds all the way up to a 5 year old who was just accepted into a gifted school.

I have several things contributing to my class: One is there is no structure when it comes to moving kids up. For example, kids do not necessarily move up at the beginning of a "school year". They just move them on up to my class as soon as they turn about 3.3 years old. Regardless of my or the previous teachers recommendations.
    The way the ages are grouped at this school aka daycare doesn't make much sense but, as a teacher, there isn't much I can do. I don't have the energy to even try right now.

So I have students who are 3 and have no experience with a structured circle time, etc. And then I have older kids who get it, are recognizing alphabet and numbers, and I have three kids that are reading and ASKING Me for worksheets and homework. Yes, the kids are. They love it!

As you can see... it's very diverse. I have 17 students with one assistant (who is another story in and of itself). I have a Director who says one thing and does another. I find myself going directly to our Owner for information because what I get from the Director may or may not be true. (This will never change... they have a 20 year history...) I have many behavior issues in this class. I feel like a terrible teacher!

For those of you who may teach in a similar setting... how do you do it?

I feel like I start over every time a "youngin" comes into my room and the older kids get bored. I've tried creating a buddy system where I pair up a youngin with an older child. I've had the older kids be examples and help with rules, guiding, etc. Giving responsibilities. It works for a day... and then I see the older kids begin to act out and have fits, etc.

Any advice?

another note... I'm only here for two more months but, I would love to leave on a good note and also with some good advice for the new teacher.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 29, 2014

I can't give advice, but was in a very similar situation. It's frustrating. Good luck! I'm curious to see what advice others have.