Laptops

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by myKroom, Mar 15, 2008.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Mar 15, 2008

My school has just approved a huge technology plan. Starting next school year, all of our students in 5th-12th grade will be getting personal laptops. Students in grades K-4th will be getting one mobile lab per grade level!!! :) It is very awesome and I am excited ...

BUT...

What on earth can I do with Kindergarteners and laptops!!?? :unsure: I know quite a few websites I can have the kids go to...but what is the best way to teach them HOW to use a laptop??

I think it would be absolutely insane to try to do it with ALL of the students at once...so I'm thinking during center time maybe??

We do not currently have any computer time in K so this will be a BIG change for us!

If anyone has any ideas or pointers on how to teach the kids these skills I would really appreciate it! Thanks a lot!!!

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 15, 2008

We have a computer lab that I take my Ks to once a week for 30 mins. They play educational games and take the STAR tests.
    It is my favorite time of the week because they are all quiet!

As far as using a laptop, I have an older one in my room. I showed the kids the different parts, keyboard, mouse button. I also told them which buttons to never touch. I did the same with the desk top computers in my room.

Since laptops will have to be handed out, I would try to have an assistant or volunteer in the room while using them. Using them during centers sounds like a good idea too. I would get them to the website or game before letting them on the computer. You may be surprised at what they already know. I think it will be a great experience for your students.

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Mar 15, 2008

ecsmom,
    Thanks for your input! There is talk that our K's will start doing the STAR test...what do you think of it for K's?? Do they seem to understand and follow the directions pretty well??

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 15, 2008

I have mixed emotions about the STAR and the DIBELS. We don't get to see the tests or do the testing. We are only given the results without anything to explain them. They are not broken down in the reports we receive on DIBELS.

As for understanding the STAR test directions, they have gotten better over the months. I am allowed to watch them take it but can't interact at all.

6. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

When I taught k, besides the fun learning games they used, I let them use word documents to write (type) their names, numbers, sight words, sentences, etc. They loved it!

I also let them use a paint program where they experimented with the lines, shapes, colors, eraser, etc. It was fun for them to print out their pictures and hang them up.

Like ecsmom suggested - have the programs up before they get to the computer, otherwise they'll click on everything!

7. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 17, 2008

We have computer time each week for 45 minutes. The first few weeks they used a program that was basically an alphabet "coloring book" to teach them how to use the mouse and click. Since then, they get on websites (starfall) and do activities that have been created for them using hyperstudio or kidspiration or something of the sort. The computer teacher always knows what we're teaching and uses an activity that fits along with our lessons.