Laptop vs. Desktop Computer

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MelissainGA, Jul 6, 2006.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 6, 2006

I am in the process of shopping for a new computer. I have been debating and would like your opinion. Would you buy a laptop or a desktop computer system. I use it quiet often and am trying to decide if the benefits of one type of system outweigh the other. My current system is an HP and it's windows ME (haven't had that many problems with it though) and I am very nervous about changing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am planning on spending about $1000.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2006

As I sit here with my laptop on my lap..... I love the freedom of moving around with my laptop. I have a bad back, so I like being able to sit on the floor, the couch or at the table.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2006

I would get a laptop without question. I have both yet find myself working on the laptop most often.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

I am sitting on my couch with my feet up, watching a ball game on television, typing on my laptop. I bought it almost a year ago and couldn't be without it now! It had to go in for service last week and I was totally lost; I felt very confined on the family desktop. I am very computer illiterate (all those numbers really mean nothing to me!), but I was very impressed by the sales staff in Staples who sold me exactly what I needed and didn't try to talk me into anything more expensive. I can't see ever being without a laptop again.

6. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

LAPTOP!!! I wouldn't trade it for a desktop! I LOVE it! The freedom of taking it wherever you want is wonderful! I had a desk top for the first two years of college, and liked it...but then I saw the light and got a laptop! I wish I had a laptop in my classroom... yeah right!

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2006

Every teacher, adminstrator and therapist in my county gets a laptop. We have to have it at school everyday, but we can take it home every night if we like. I have mine home over the summer, so I recieve all of my county e-mails. So, now I have 2 laptops at home.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2006

I couldn't be without a laptop when my husband and I leave town or the state. Most hotels offer internet service so I am able to keep in touch with work or other facets of my life even when I'm away. Then again, I suppose there are times where you don't want to be in touch...

9. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

Laptop for day to day things such as email, microsoft word, creating lesson plans, internet...etc

PC for gaming

We got a laptop when my wife was on bedrest and we have loved it. It allows us both to keep up with things while traveling and we can watch DVD's etc as well.

10. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

Same here. I have added a wireless card to my laptop, and I absolutely LOVE it.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2006

How exactly do you make a laptop wireless? I know I have wireless capabilities but...

12. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

Purchase a wireless card and you'll be in business. They sell them almost anywhere laptops are sold.

13. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

There are technical things to deal with, but my internet provider talked me through the set-up. It took all of five minutes.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2006

Thanks. Everyone keeps telling me that it is really simple, but I am kind of technically challenged.:eek:

15. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jul 6, 2006

Laptop all the way! I got mine in November and never went back to my old desktop! :D

16. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 6, 2006

Thanks for the opinions. You are making my decision much easier since you all say laptop :) I was leaning that way I just wanted the positive reinforcement from my peers. Now if my check from teaching summer school would arrive and tax free days will get here my laptop purchasing can commence. What brand laptop did you purchase? I have been looking at Compaq and Toshiba on line.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

What brands do you all have? Are you satisfied with the capabilities? What features can't you live without?

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2006

My school has provided me with an IBM and I have a Toshiba. I like my IBM better but I think I just have to get used to my little mouse pad on my Toshiba. I used to have a Compact but it froze a lot but my friend has one now and likes it (it was cheaper). I have another friend who has a Sony and loves it. He son has an HP but says he likes the Sony better. When I was looking to buy mine, a lot of people recommended an Apple.

I think there is really nothing bad that you can say about any one of these laptops. It is all about personal preference and the price. I also looked at customer service (Dell supposedly has really bad customer service).

19. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

Definitely a laptop. :) My fiance, my brother, and I all own Gateways and haven't had any problems with them.

I have previously owned a Dell laptop and would NOT recommend it due to the horrible, awful customer service I received.

20. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

I have a Gateway as well. It has been a great machine for us. It has done a lot better than my sister in law's Dell and mine cost half as much as her's did.

21. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I have Toshiba...and love it! Not a big fan of Dell's either...

22. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

I also had a horrid customer service issue with Dell. My Compaq laptop has served me well. I have had this machine since June 2003.

23. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

As I sit here with my laptop on my lap, legs up, and not plugged into a cable, I vote for a laptop. I currently have a DELL Latitude D505 which was issued to me 2 years ago through my district office. Since I have cable internet, I run a router through my modem. I am completely wireless and love it. I take it outside and check emails while soaking up the rays. :)

In the past I have had an APPLE in-book in the past and never had problems with it. Well, except for the keys feeling flimsy that is.

24. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 7, 2006

I had a Dell laptop...got it at half the price! Oh, and it broke in half the usual time :( (2 yr)
    Now I have an Apple ibook, but they've turned into macbooks now.
    Very cool, very cool, very cool. Built in wireless card, comes with all your basic stuff plus tons of extras, and you can get Microsoft Word for it, so it's a great school computer (Who knew that macs were so neat? I am so converted)
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=A4791B5D&nclm=MacBook

But I do have a PC for gaming (not a dell)... I mean... I have to have my "The Sims 2".

25. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

It's this simple: Get either the new MacBook or MacBook Pro (both laptops). With the new available software (either Apple's "Boot Camp" or the independent software "Parallels") you can run Windows (if you must...yuck) right alongside the far superior Mac OS X. Microsoft Office will run on both OS systems though you'd have to buy the Mac version separately to run it on OS X. Macs are more stable, more secure, and much less prone to "attack"....last year alone there were 114,000 viruses/worms, etc for Windows.........for Mac? 5.

Also....go to www.apple.com, click on education, then on the apple store link.....they have a discount for teachers....on computers it's usually $200.00-$300.00.

Also......people will tell you that Macs are more expensive...and while it's true you CAN get a Windows laptop for less...in the most basic form....by the time you load up the machine to be the equivalent of the Mac (and include the additional purchase of software that simply comes bundled on Macs, like iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb, etc.)....they end up being about the same!

I'm biased, obviously......but go for the Apple!!

26. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

I have a Dell laptop that I've had for 2+ years. It cost a pretty penny, but I've never had issues. Plus, it isn't outdated (by my standards anyway). It was the "desktop replacement," so it has tons of stuff: 512 RAM, hyperthreading, and 30 GB hard drive (I think; maybe more). It also has RW-DVD, 3.5 floppy (can switch out with other), and multiple USB ports. I'm very happy with it.

However, I do think MAC is better, but I'm too chicken to switch.

27. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

No need to be chicken, C! With the new mac laptops, you can still run Windows!

28. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2006

Well everyone thank you for the all of the suggestions. I just bought an HP laptop @ Circuit City and got a very good deal, built in Wireless card (not just "wireless capable"), 1024 of RAM, 120GB hard drive. Had just looked @ this online the other day and it was $1100 and today instore it was 849 after "instant rebates" and then a $150 mail in rebate.
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I know if I get 1/2 the service out of this that I did the Desktop HP then I will get my money's worth. My desktop system is 6 years old.

I know this is going to be SOOOOO much more convenient.

Melissa

29. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Jul 10, 2006

Great shopping! I definitely think you'll like it better. My husband gave me one for Christmas and had it completely set up for me....wireless, thumb drive, etc. I can't believe how much more I use it than I thought I would. Also, I don't feel isolated now when I am working on school work at home. Before, I was always in the computer room by myself while everyone else was in the living room.

Hope you'll get as much use out of yours! I think you'll be happy!