Lanyards instead of name tags?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsDeb, Jul 17, 2010.

1. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

Just had an idea....
    I was reading the discussion about name tags on desks. I hate them too - the kids always pick at them and it makes it harder to move students. Has anyone ever tried using lanyards as name tags? The students could put them on in the a.m. (have them placed on their desks) and leave them at the end of the day.

I have to wear a lanyard - they might think it's cool to wear one too.

Any thoughts?:thanks:

3. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I was thinking about this at the start of the year, but I don't see it as necessary as the year progresses. I don't even see why name tags on the desks are necessary unless there are visitors in the class or a sub.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 17, 2010

I used lanyards for bathroom passes one time, for a few days. One of the kids took it to the bathroom and swished it around in the toilet and flung toilet water all over some other kids. It was a big to do! I won't be doing that again.

Also, It seems that young kids would play with them all day or that they could be a choking hazard in the event of a fight or PE.

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

A couple of days ago, I actually went ahead and bought lanyards for my students (for the first time). At our school, they have to wear name tags every day to specials and lunch for the first couple of weeks so the specials teachers and the cafeteria workers can learn their names. The ones the school provides come off and get lost easily. I figured that, with the lanyards, I could pull them out at any point in the year in case they have a sub or a guest speaker. Besides, the kids always seem to be fascinated with my lanyard, so I thought it would be kind of fun for them.

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

I use the desk nametags for the resources on them... not actually for the child's name. I have an alphabet, the hundreds chart, number line to 30, color words, shapes, money, and ruler. We use them all the time. This prevents me from having to pull out these resources when doing a math lesson!

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

What if you seal the nametag down - contact paper, tape, laminate - whatever. Then place a piece of clear plastic tape over the name part and write their name on top of the tape. Then, when you move seats, you just peel off that piece of tape over the name part.
    I don't know if it will work, but I sure hate having to take the whole name tag off idea.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

My kids have to have name tags for their specials (although, since they are in 5th grade, I will admit they do not get used much past September).
    My kids lose them- and they only wear them for a 45 minute block three times a week! And they are in 5th! I would imagine you would be replacing a lot of them.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

I have nametags for specials, lunch pin and subs. I use elastic instead of yarn or string. The elastic makes for easy taking on and off, and no tangling.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2010

If you do decide to go with lanyards, make sure you get ones that are "break-away" to keep them safer.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

You can also put a magnet on the name tags and stick them to the side of the desks.
    I can't do it because I have a teeny-tiny room and my kids have to sit in groups. However, with a U-shape (my favorite!) or some other arrangements, this works well.

As for my kids' name tags for specials, they are the clear plastic badge type with a clip to clip onto their shirts. I just slide their names out and reuse them every year. Of course, I have to buy a new package of both the clear sleeves and the clips every year because so many get lost, but they are cheap. At Walmart, it is under $2 for a package of 12 clips or 12 sleeves. So, under $8 for 24 kids and you can reuse them!

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 18, 2010

These wouldn't work for my class. My kids would play with them too much.

13. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

I like this idea!
    I just have a HUGE classroom (I know, poor me) and my kids switch for reading groups. I want to be able to move kids from desks to tables and switch kids for reading without having to worry about nametags attached to a specific place.

I do think they will fidget with lanyards and do agree it may be a safety issue. Thanks for the feedback! :)

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

Lakeshore sells the breakaway ones but they are expensive!

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

I use small nametags with just the name (I teach kinder) and attached them to the back of their chairs with velcro. Works terrific. Does not clutter the table and kids know to grab their name from the back of their chair if they need help with writing it. At an older grade not even necessary. I can't stand the clear packing tape to put tags down because it leaves the desks/tables sticky.

16. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 19, 2010

Does this really work!! This is the best idea I have heard yet. So you attach how many pieces of velcro? you don't see the kids use them and play around with them or just want to hear the velcro?

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 19, 2010

I tried having name tags around their necks. It is annoying. They play with them. I put the tags on the back of their seats.

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

yes it works great and is what I have done for several years now. They are out of sight out of mind. However they know they can reach on the back of their chair and grab their tags if they need help writing it and are very good about putting it back.

It is just about teaching expectations. This is what you may/ may not do.

I attached with 2 velcro dots and they stay all year. This is really easy when moving kids - because the nametag is on the chair. Move chair.

19. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 19, 2010

Okay so I might really try that. Its so non traditional.

20. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

I might try it too! I hate how much room those name tags take up on our tables. This is a great solution!

21. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

It's a good idea in theory, but I think it will be more of a hassle than a help. How about making "portable reference charts" using file folders than can come out and be used as needed, but easily stored.

22. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

What's good in theory: lanyards or velcro to-the-seat name tags?

23. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

I love this idea! Unfortunatly we stack chairs at the end of the day and this may be more trouble when they are looking for their chair in the morning. I wonder if they would stay on if we stacked the chairs? I wonder if its worth trying.....HMMM

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

OR they just take them off before you stack the chairs. Make a pile somewhere by the door. Maybe they can pick them up each morning and the ones that are left you know they are absent.

25. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

This is the problem I am running into. The only thing I can think of is taking the name tags off at the end of the day, and part of their morning routine is to get their tag and velcro it to their chair. The remaining tags would be those of the absent students. Wondering if it would be a hassle or not....

26. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

Oh VanNewbie! Great minds think alike.

27. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

We do too! and yes they stay on.

I have also had buckets for each table (to put work they can take home at the end of the day). I have had them just keep them in there and get them out when needed. That works too since the buckets are kept at the table.

28. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

lol

29. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

I enjoyed reading the varied responses throughout this thread. After considering all responses, I think I'll have my 4th grade students make tents with their name cards. This way we can easily fold them up and collect them, or I can ask my students to fold it up and keep in their binders.