Language Help

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenPooh, Feb 19, 2007.

1. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2007

Does anyone have any good information on where a child "should" be by the time he/she turns two for language skills? I have a few scattered resources, but they all beat around the bush too much. I need something more solid. Help!

3. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2007

Thanks Ann. If anyone has any more I'd love them as well. I'll take anything I can get. I have an almost 2 year old and she still babbles so much like a baby, stares at me a lot, etc. I just don't think something clicks, but I don't want to assume and "jump the gun" either. Although, mom and dad never make her talk though either at home and I know that has something to do with it. Whining and pointing get her her way at home...grrr! I'm not sure what to make of it.

5. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 19, 2007

HI Jenn,

It is really varied, it really depends on the child. I have some children that are extremely articulate, and others who are babbling. I think a good target to look at is have they made progression through the course of the year. I had one little boy who started at two, who made not sense at all. Now he is completely clear now.
    I will look through my resources and see what I can find.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2007

Thank you. This is why I don't want to jump the gun and think/assume there is something wrong. 2 year olds are not my strong point I will admit that, and my son was so articulate at this age that I am at a lose at what to think. I have talked to her mom about making her speak or try to speak when she wants something, but my advice seems to fall on deaf ears a lot. She is very babied to say the least. If I had to look at progress, I'm not sure if she's made any. I've had her for 6 months now and she hasn't said any new words that I have heard of. She says maybe 5 words I know of that I can barely make out. Mom says she talks a lot at home, but mom also sugar coats things and says she knows her alphabet, and I KNOW that's far from the truth. I think talking and saying words to her means babbling too. :confused:

7. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Feb 19, 2007

A child at the age of two should have at least 50 words....how is her receptive communication (i.e what she understands)? If you ask her to point to objects in familiar books, can she? I would maybe do a classroom wide "parent info" sheet re: developmental skills with referral information for Early Intervention screenings (these are completely free). That way, you have provided her with information, and it is up to mom to take it or leave it. (sometimes a daycare/preschool can do classwide screenings with early interventionists..Parents sign consent and then a brief assessment is done with each kid. Parents get results and referral info if evaluation is necessary. This is part of child find for your area, so I would see if this is possible.) I would also recommend that you have mom come in and "help out" one day. Make sure you do a structured language activity while she is there so that mom can see her child's abilities compared to the others.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2007

We have a birth to three program that does those type of services. The thing is either way, I'd have to single her out. I'm a home daycare/preschool and she is my only one that young. All the other ones are going into K next year. But I don't fear that and that's ok. If I have good information then I feel comfortable talking to mom about it so if I have to approach her personally, so be it. Mom is also a teacher, which gets me because you'd think she'd be on top of it.

As far as her reception it really depends. She does take direction well and I think she understands what you say as long as it's very simple. At times I do think she's not all there though. When I ask her a question she stares at me (she barely answers me and when she does it's either yes or no, but that could be just her lack of language skills), but when I ask her to do something she does it and knows what I'm saying.

The sad thing is, this girl will only be with me another 6 weeks. After that I go on maternity leave then I am not taking her back into care being that I'll have a new baby and the preschool. She can be a handful and I wont be able to deal with her and my newborn to be blunt about it. I think if I do say something nothing will get done, but I think the least I can do is hand her some information or something. I at least want to cover my end, even if she doesn't listen to me.

Part of me thinks she's not up to par, but another part of it I know comes from how she is babied at home. Her mom and dad baby her to no end. Until recently she was still getting a bottle at home because she would whine for one and they'd give it to her. I'll give you an example of their premiere parenting skills: the child likes to hide crayons around the house to draw on walls and stuff. A normal reaction would be to not let the child draw with them anymore and take them away. Instead, mom decides to put paper where the child hides the crayons in hopes to divert her from drawing on walls and such when she goes back to them. Egads!!! I just shook my head and starred at her when she told me that. Duh!!!

9. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Feb 19, 2007

Ugh! I used to work in Early Intervention and it was always very frustrating to me that the most educated parents seemed to have some of the poorest parenting skills. I guess what concerns me is that kids who could talk would generally "turn on" the speech when they were in environments such as yours which doesn't allow whining and pointing and then revert back at home. This doesn't seem to be the case, which makes me worry that there really is a language issue, especially if she hasn't made much progress in the past 6 months. Sadly, I think many teachers/educated parents still believe in the special ed. stigma and therefore tend to procrastinate about addressing potential developmental issues. The best thing that you can tell her is that the eval would be a win-win situation. IF (and I mean a big IF) there is nothing wrong with her speech, then she gets a free eval and goes home knowing that her daughter is right where she should be. However, if there is something going on speech wise, she can get help early on, which will allow her daughter a much higher chance in catching up with her same age peers. It is much easier to work on these skills now, before school-age when you are then looking at child studies, etc. Besides, most services are given in a natural environment (i.e. home or at preschools) so if she really does talk a lot at home then there shouldn't be a problem. Good Luck!!

10. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

JenPooh, I use a resource for my family childcare called E-LAP. It states that a child of 2 should be able to name two pictures or objects (like a horse, cow etc.), point to three pictures when asked, speak 20 words, follow 3 directions, ask for food when hungry, or a drink, speak in two word sentances, and refer to themself by their name. Hope this helps
    Mrs. B.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2007

Thanks Mrs. B. She definitly doesn't do all of that. :( Is that for a child who will just turn two as well? She not two quite yet. In a couple weeks she'll be two.