Language Arts questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsTeckel, Aug 19, 2012.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

I teach in a special day school for children with autism. We just went to fully self contained last week. Previously, it was on a rotation basis...8 rooms, 1 subject in each room...kids rotate every 30 min. Then we went to self contained but with two rooms rotating...Now we are fully self contained...noone rotates.

My last self contained classes was a typical autism class...we were on the low end of academic and I finally got a routine and curriculum going on in my room. Then we switched..

Now I have the higher functioning kids...Im so lost. Mostly in Language Arts. I've taught math when we were rotating, so Im good there.

In my last class, my highest kid was possibly at a kindergarten level. In this class, my highest kid reads at an 8th grade level, spells bout 3rd grade.

Ive been reading that I shouldnt focus a lot of spelling even though thats most of their goals. I really want a weekly format that I follow, but I cant figure it out.

I have two kids who are working on letter sounds/letters

1 working close to a 1st grade level, 1 working Id say about 2nd grade reading. 1 working bout 3rd grade...then the highest one that can read and he's working on grammar.

I can handle the two that are letter/letter sounds and the one on a 1st grade level. I just dont know what to do with the other 3.

Is there a reading curriculum (Im buying this myself) that focuses on k-5? Ive used k12reader.com but that pretty much gives me a list of words. I really want to get a format going on so Im not spending my days/nights trying to come up with stuff. I really hate the thought of giving them worksheet after worksheet.

Any help would be great!! Thank you Thanks for reading this far.

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

How many kids do you have in your class? Are you teaching LA & Reading as one class or splitting it up?

4. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

I have 6 kids at the moment. We only have one subject...its language arts...its just what its always been called. I can pretty much teach whatever I want.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

I would look into the Teacher's College Reading and Writing Workshops. They're fairly easy to tailor to the individual levels of students. Kind of pricey to pay for out of your own pocket, but I'm sure you could find stuff for free online? I don't know how much other programs would cost I've never been in a situation like this. But my school uses TC and I taught 4th grade last year with kids reading on a PreK level to an 8th grade level. I was able to differentiate pretty much everything we did for all my students.

http://heinemann.com/products/E00871.aspx
    http://heinemann.com/products/E00604.aspx