Language arts..morning or afternoon?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Jun 29, 2013.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2013

I have always taught language arts in the morning. Always. However, next year things are going to be different. Some of you may remember that I was asked to teach the low group (low in terms of phonemic awareness) for next year, however, after assessments were done, it turns out there is not enough low students to make an entire class (that´s good news). So, they are splitting the students, and I will get an hour of support, and another teacher will also get an hour of support. We are trying to figure out a schedule to make it work. To make things easier, I suggested that I could try doing math in the morning and language arts in the afternoon. Has anyone done this, and how do you like it?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2013

I have always liked math best first thing in the morning and language in the afternoon--that's how I'll be setting up my schedule in September.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 29, 2013

I did it one year and it was okay. I prefer LA in the morning, though.

When I reviewed my students' standardized test scores, I realized that teaching LA in the afternoon didn't affect their scores whatsoever.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2013

Why do you prefer it in the morning?

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2013

Why is that? I am really curious about this. I have wanted to try math in the morning for awhile now, and this might be the perfect year to try it.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2013

Do you know, I haven't really thought a lot about it. It's always been scheduled for me that way, partly to do with Special Ed support, so it's become second-nature to have math in the morning, then my literacy block in the afternoon. I do find that the students seem fresher and more open to mathematical thinking and processing in the morning than they are in the afternoon, although I don't know why. My literacy block allows for more movement and conversation, and not as much direct teaching, so it works in the afternoon when they aren't as fresh.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2013

The afternoon always seem long and my kids are tired. This is another reason I am interested in doing our literacy block in the afternoon. Then they get to relax and read for two rotations and then work on words during another rotation.

9. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jun 29, 2013

I prefer to have language arts in the afternoon. Reading and writing is calming for the students after lunch/recess, and I usually have longer blocks of time in the afternoon that fit the language arts schedule better.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2013

I've always done language arts in the morning and math after lunch. I think it was mostly because the reading block was the longest and they were the most focused in the morning. As long as you have lunch or recess before your new language arts time, I think they'll be fine.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 29, 2013

I am going to switch to math first thing this year, since the word is this upcoming group does not yet know addition with regrouping, and I figure we are going to need every minute of alertness possible.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 29, 2013

I mix it up all day. I prefer math after lunch because the students have eaten and gotten some exercise. I heard recently of teachers that do their play and exploration in the morning because students are freshest and able to make the best choices. As the day progresses they tighten up the schedule and gradually add more structure. They did math at the end of the day because it's when students have the least amount of choice. Something to consider, anyway.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 29, 2013

This.

Also, I tend to use a lot of manipulatives during my math block. The kids' attention span isn't too great after lunch, so the manipulatives help reel them back in.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 29, 2013

I have always done LA in the morning. I suppose I don't know why. That's just the way we've always done it.

I have the longest block of time in the morning, so LA fits well there. Next year I think I'm going to have a morning prep though. Maybe I'll ask to switch to Math in the morning! That would be cool and different.

15. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 29, 2013

I am departmentalized and teach ELA to one class in the morning and another in the afternoon. I didn't notice much difference at all in student achievement, attention spans, etc. If it works better for your schedule, I say go for it.

16. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 29, 2013

Our schedule is given to us so there is no choice in when we teach what. Usually language arts is in the morning and math is in the afternoon.

17. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 29, 2013

I teach the same thing for six hours of the day, and if I were looking for a time when students pay the closest attention, it would be the first two hours of the morning. The time when it is hardest to hold them? Right after lunch and sometimes at the very end of the day.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

That´s very interesting! Thanks. :)

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

My kids always do better in the morning. However, I use a modified version of The Daily 5 so my kids would not necessarily be sitting and listening to my for a long period of time in the afternoon.

So, if I make the switch, I would actually still do some language in the morning. I have an hour and a half in the morning, and we only have to do math for one hour. So I am thinking that I could keep 8:00 to 8:30 the same as I have always done: we start with a morning message, which introduces the big idea of the day. Kids turn and discuss the big idea. Then the morning message always prepares us for our read-a-loud (right before our read-a-loud I introduce our comprehension strategy). We finish, and then at 8:30 we go into our math warm up. The only down fall is that they wouldn´t immediately be practicing the reading comprehension bit until the afternoon. That might not be the worst thing because I would help them with that in reading groups, and I usually spend two weeks on each one.

What do you guys think of that?

20. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jun 30, 2013

Our school has 1-2nd do the 90 min ELA block in the morning and 3-5th in the afternoon. Part of this is due to our specials schedule (our kids get a lot of specials), but I do think the younger kids do better with reading in the morning. I have Tier 3 reading kids at the end of the day (which I hate) and it isn't a very good time for reading.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I also need to clarify: I am getting a new schedule next year, so I am with the kids from 8:00-12:15 (minus first recess from 9:30 to 10:00). I keep saying literacy in the afternoon, but in reality what I mean is doing it after recess, which means we would start our literacy block at 10:00 instead of doing it first thing in the morning. So, technically it is still in the morning, but they would have already had their first recess. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

22. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

We start the day with Word Study and Writing and end with Reading...so both ;)