Language Arts curriculum for special ed

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Chokita, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

People that follow an alternate curriculum (don't have to follow grade level curriculum), do you ever feel like you wish we had some sort of curriculum to follow? Something that is meaningful, accessible, that makes sense, high-interest for our moderate-severe students? I feel (and some of my parents agree) that when we make our own things, we're all over the place, and parents can't really follow what we're going to be learning next week or next month, because there is no set curriculum (like in general ed classes), there are no books to follow.

If any of you do use some sort of curriculum, can you please share it with us? My main priority is a language arts curriculum, but if you use something that is across different areas (and that is not babyish), that will be interesting too.

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2009

:dizzy:Yes! That is the only class I have daily that I can't find a good curriculum for. I feel like I am jumping all over the place. The kids have huge gaps too. Sometimes, I feel like I can't break things down anymore. They can identify a subject and a predicate, and write one, but why can't they write sentences that make sense, and a lot of them don't say sentences in the correct order. I tried using a grammar book from a younger grade, but it taught too many things that weren't important, and I tried using SRA but there was too much language involved.

Most of my language arts group is autistic, so I'd be interested if you found anything that works with their unique view on the world and language skills.

4. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

I found the Weekly Reader on ablenetinc.com. It seems very interesting.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

I got a subscription to Reading A-Z. I am using this in conjunction with a Hooked on Phonics (K) kit that bought on eBay.

Reading A-Z is great- there are a lot if skills targeted within the readers besides plain old reading (predicting, comprehension, answering questions, sequencing, and so on).

I'm going through all of the High Frequency Word readers and then we will start at the leveled readers. I can't really go at the pace of each child, so I go by the majority and then individualize during the lesson as necessary. The great thing is that I let the kids take the "books" (printed out and stapled) home with them so they can have books at home.

There are flash cards, bingo cards, worksheets, lesson plans, etc. That are available on the website.

Because I'm kind of the "forgotten class..." - I have to just make do with using it as a primary source for curriculum.

It seems to be working well- I change the books fairly frequently, and I hope to move my kids from K readers to 1st readers or higher by the end of the year.

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2009

I looked at the Weekly Reader Ablenet Edition. My kids are a little too high for that, but it did give me some great ideas into how to incorporate other kids news sources. My kids are fluent readers but their comprehension is near zero. They can't remember reading something as soon as we are done.

7. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 27, 2009

Weekly Reader is made for students with moderate to severe disabilities, so I guess it is a little bit too low for your students.

8. Piggy

Piggy Rookie

Oct 2, 2009

9. manoel

manoel Rookie

Oct 8, 2009

I have this same problem! To the poster who said she had curriculum for everything but Language arts, I would like to know what else you use with your kids... for math, etc.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

12. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Oct 11, 2009

Does anyone use the AGS English and Literature textbooks? There are several options for English. This is what my district has for the instructional special ed English classrooms..I like the program for my higher functioning kids. I have a real curriculum to follow. But, I also have to really supplement for my lower kiddos.