Language Arts Block

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by new2this12, Aug 15, 2013.

1. new2this12

new2this12 New Member

Aug 15, 2013

Hi all,

My third grade team is GREAT; however, our language arts block isn't organized AT ALL. Our county has implemented a new writing system (Lucy Caulkins) which we're still adjusting to but language arts in general is just scattered (writing, reading, etc). So my question for you all is, what does your language arts block look like daily/weekly. I really want a routine!!

I need to try to fit writing in daily.. (couldn't manage that last school year).. and I want reading to be routine as well.

Advice? What work for you?

3. janis

janis Companion

Aug 27, 2013

I have the kids rotate with a Daily 5 centers: Read to self, read to others, listening to reading (online), word work, and writing. I've done this for 3 years now and it works very well. Much more overall on task time.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2013

Daily:
    Spelling sorts/word work (Words Their Way) 10-20 minutes
    Writing Workshop 30 minutes
    Reading Workshop 40-45 minutes

5. new2this12

new2this12 New Member

Aug 27, 2013

What does your reading workshop time consist of if you don't mind me asking. Do you pick a focus skill for the week using a basal reader or how do you run that?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2013

No basal. Each student is reading books at his/her own independent level. I work within units of study and follow workshop model of:
    Mini lesson
    Guided practice
    Independent reading/ conferring
    Group share

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 28, 2013

czacza - do y'all use the CCSS? If so, do you track which standards you have covered? I'm considering moving away from the basal (they took away our math texts), but know that I cannot purchase class (or even group) sets of texts. Thoughts? How do you grade? I'm required to have 2 grades per subject per week each quarter. All of our grades are entered into an online grading system, and to have everyone taking different evaluations means that, for group A, for instance, I would have to enter "e" (excused) for everyone BUT group A if their assessments are different. Am I making sense?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2013

Yes, we are Common Core. My ELA report card grades are based on student writing and my conferring notes...I don't have to post grades weekly.
    I have an EXTENSIVE classroom library. Nonfiction is in baskets by topic, fiction is in leveled baskets.

9. Pinky12

Pinky12 Rookie

Sep 21, 2013

Hello.

My district also uses the Lucy Caulkins Reader's/Writer's Workshop model. My first year teaching with this model was horrible. There was just too much to do, and I was never actually trained in it, just told to read the books and follow them as I plan my lessons. My first piece of advice is not to take the books too seriously. Lucy offers a great general outline of what your workshops should look like, but her book can get a little too scripted at times. Take the beneficial stuff from her books, but make sure you make the workshops your own, or they won't seem genuine to your kids.

As for timing, we had a fantastic PD workshop over the summer and this is how the presenter suggested we plan a 120 minute Literacy block:

40 minutes- Reader's Workshop (5-10 minutes for Mini-Lesson, 20-25 minutes for independent reading and responding to what they've read, 5 minutes for share time)

40 minutes- Writer's Workshop (5-10 minutes for Mini-Lesson, 20-25 minutes for independent writing/ conferencing with students, 5 minutes for share time)

40 minutes- Centers/ Guided Reading. Centers can be anything (Listening, word work, reader's theater, science, social studies, buddy reading, writing, etc. She even recommended making a center for cutesy holiday art projects so you don't waste instructional time on this). One center will be your Guided Reading center. You will probably have groups only go to 2 centers per day with this model, since you only have 40 minutes, but at least you will be meeting with every guided reading group once a week. If you have a very low or struggling group, you can pull them into the Guided Reading center for extra practice as you see fit.

Also, Pinterest/ TeachersPayTeachers is my go-to source of Reader's/Writer's Workshop materials and resources.

I apologize for the length, but I hope this helps. Good luck to you!