Language Arts 3rd Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ThirdGrade123, Sep 27, 2006.

1. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Sep 27, 2006

I have such difficulty teaching LA to my 3rd graders. I feel that I never have enough time to do everything I plan for. I was wondering if anyone could possibly share or give me some insight into your daily schedule.
    We use Harcourt Brace: Trophies. I try to do flexible grouping as much as possible. I do not have a problem assigning my reading groups and doing prereading activities. My problem is fitting everthing else into the schedule. I seem to always run out of time.

Thanks for all those who can help.

3. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Sep 27, 2006

Quick Question then I can help you.

How long are your LA periods?

4. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Sep 27, 2006

It depends on the day. Usually 45 minutes or 1 hour. Thank you so much.

5. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 27, 2006

Is it possible to extend the lesson over several days? When I was a LTS in second grade we used Houghton Mifflin. It is supposed to be done in 5 days, but with everything else that needed to be done, we extended it to 8 days. It worked out perfectly and we got everything covered by the end of the year.

6. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Sep 28, 2006

Yes, I'm sure I would be able to stretch one selection to fit all the necessary elements in. I just feel so overwhelmed. I know this is an area that I lack in. I have one child who is reading on a Kindergarten level. (Our school does not believe in keeping a child back.) Then I have my basic "low" group. Thankfully, I have materials to help them but they struggle to work without me. Then I'm stuck b/c I want to read, in a group, with every student. However, everyday I am sitting wtih my low group. Then I feel that I'm doing an injustice to my other students who need reading time with me as well!

7. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 28, 2006

Another option would be to meet with the low group every day. Then meet with your middle groups every other day and try to meet with your high group one day a week. Last year, I had some very high readers in second grade. I had them do a literature unit on a book. I got the materials from edhelper.com. They did very well with that.