Landscaping Question.....Pricing

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Jun 3, 2020.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 3, 2020

I don't want to ask anyone else this, because I don't want to have a neighborhood issue. So, I thought about coming here.

Here it is:
    We have a man in the neighborhood who does a lot of people's landscaping. Everyone on our Nextdoor site raves about his good work and reasonable prices. He came to do an estimate for me the other day. I just got the estimate and it's definitely WAY more than I was thinking (like quadruple the amount). I do not know for a fact, but I think I could hire a real, licensed landscaper for less.

I know that this is just an estimate and I am in no way required to accept this price. However, what threw me off was a text message he sent me that stated, "Please do not discuss prices with neighbors. Prices are between you and I."

I think I am going to get a few more estimates and compare. But, do you think that line above is "fishy" too or am I just being ridiculous?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2020

I would get a professional estimate. I would also talk to my neighbors if the yards are comparable.

Landscaping is expensive though.

My dad had his own business and when he couldn't get someone to accept when he had too much work he would throw out a high estimate. Every now and then someone would bite.

So, he may have too much work or he may just be seeing if you will push back. He doesn't want you to talk to the neighbors because he probably just tries to get as much as he can unlike my dad who couldn't get someone to understand he just didn't want the job.

bella84 likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 3, 2020

Totally unrelated to landscaping, but that’s the strategy that I take with tutoring. I don’t really want to do it, so I throw out what seems like too much to me. If someone agrees, I figure I’ll do it. And, if not, I just enjoy my free time.

In regards to the question, I’d get another quote.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 4, 2020

That is fishy. He might be the type of business person that will charge high the for the first job but after you show that you are a "good" customer will lower his prices. But I think getting at least 3 estimates is wise.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2020

I wouldn't worry about fishy - just get more estimates. Make sure you go to see examples of their work, however, before hiring. I suspect that because he is good, he is swamped and not looking for new clients at this time, hence the high estimate. On the one hand he doesn't need more work unless he is making enough to hire more help, that makes the estimate high. On the other hand, your yard needs more work than you think - kind of like "catch up" - so will be more work, more expensive, until he whips it into shape. Call other people until you find someone in your price range. If they don't work out, this guy is still in the neighborhood.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 4, 2020

It is always a good idea to get more than one estimate when you aren't sure of the going price for work in the area.

bella84 likes this.
  8. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 5, 2020

I never even considered this. There's no judgement at all in this question, but why would someone do that instead of just telling the person they didn't have time for the job? Wouldn't that potentially cause bad vibes/reviews if the person found out they were charged considerably more than someone else?

9. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 5, 2020

Update! I told him that it was too much, and he cut the price in half! This is much more reasonable. I think I am going to still ask him to do the work even though my s/o said he thinks that I shouldn't because that shows that he was trying to price gouge me. haha.
    Regardless, I was NOT born yesterday and I work too hard to just give my money away.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    rpan likes this.
  10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2020

Someone tells me that and the first thing I want to do is go talk prices with the neighbors!!

MntnHiker, a2z and ecteach like this.
  11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2020

My dad would tell them no over and over again. Then he just got tired of telling them no and threw out a ridiculously high price.

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 6, 2020

Well, in that case, who could blame him? Haha

13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2020

I wouldn't do business with him until you get other estimates. It isn't as if he told you no (like my dad would do). He was just seeing if you were a sucker and he was willing to take advantage of you. If he would do that, what other areas may he cut corners when doing your landscaping? His behavior showed poor character.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2020

I would not use him. Don't like his business practices and i"m not too impressed with his character if he was trying to scam you.

Tired Teacher and a2z like this.
  15. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 7, 2020

I wouldn’t use him. I have a personal rule. I never bargain down any price quoted to me for anything because I think the other party has got to make a living and has bills to pay like the rest of us. But if you try to screw me over I won’t use you or buy from you, even if you lower the price right down. I don’t want to play stupid bargaining games and I want to deal with people who have similar morals or principles like me.

16. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 8, 2020

Thanks everyone! I decided to hire someone different. The cost was comparable to what he quoted the second time, but I agree that he's probably not trustworthy. Everyone in the neighborhood really does seem to like him though. It's just weird that he would do that. Anyways, hope it turns out well! I'll let you know.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  17. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 18, 2020

I am glad you hired someone different. I wouldn't like it if I was told not to tell his quote either.
    Plus, after giving you such a high quote and dropping his prices dramatically, would give me a bad feeling about his integrity.