Landing a teaching job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Carebear05, Jun 7, 2007.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 23, 2007

I just got a letter from the district where I did 2 LTS jobs this year saying I was approved to sub next year. I don't want to sub there. I want a job! I don't even want a long term thing again because I'll have to go through this again. It is unreal. I am becoming more and more frustrated.

2. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 23, 2007

Maybe you could try subbing in some other districts. But I know how you feel. I never, ever want to go back to day to day subbing again. I would rather be a TA and take less pay just so I have steady work.

3. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

That's a toss up for me. I feel like as a TA I will be downgrading...but, it's better than no job I suppose.

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

I know how you feel, but I am so tired of the whole job search. I just want to go to one place. Last year I started out as a Learning Support TA and ended up as a second grade LTS.

5. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

Well that was a step up. What happened with that district?

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

I was a LTS for the same district for 5 years. I interviewed for a position two years ago and didn't get the job. This year I interviewed again and still haven't heard anything back. It is a long and complicated story.

7. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

That's not right. Being a LTS isn't the same as subbing. You have the responsibility of the regular teacher and if you can handle that I don't know why the district won't hire you as an empoyee. It doesn't make sense to me. Have the principals changed?

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

I will PM you tomorrow and tell you my story.

9. always question

always question New Member

Jun 26, 2007

You know, I've been finding out the hard way that SO much in the field of ED. is purely POLITICAL. It's all about who you know and how well you can kiss ----. This may sound cynical, but I am VERY serious about it, and the longer I teach the stronger I feel this way. And it is SO wrong. A prime example is MY administrator (whom will no longer be so when I resign next week...). As she opened 4 new centers this year, several new teachers were hired. She required that EVERYONE have at least a degree, if not experience, in early childhood. That is, I found out, unless you are her pastor and once led the youth group. This qualified not only being hired, but being the LEAD of all others. And if that weren't enough, she only taught PT (4 mornings/wk) b/c she still was an active minister.

I have NOTHING against the ministry - my dad is one - but if that is not a clear case of "favoritism," at the LEAST, I don't know what is. There are teachers "under" her whom have taught for YEARS and are absolutely WONDERFUL. They have MUCH better skills (I know this first-hand), but don't play the political game. There's the rub.

So, as much as I hate to say it, if you truly want into certain school districts, you have to "play the game," network, and really kiss-up. Pretty ironic for educators, don't you think?

BTW, this is why I am going to school for my administrator's license. I'd LOVE to have a chance to be on the other side and operate more fairly. Not that administrators can be completely political-free, but it can at least be done with integrity.

Best of luck, everyone!

10. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

If I lived close by I'd want to come work for you after you make it into administration! I really had NO idea either that this was going to be all about who you know, but it has become painfully clear that it is true. It is hard for me to get anywhere because we are new here (have been here one year) and so I don't know the right people yet!

11. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

I sometimes wonder if principals even stop to think about what they're doing to people. This yr. I had told a principal at a school nearby, which is the one I attended, the one I subbed at, the one where I know 98% of the staff, etc. that I was interested in a position there if one became available for next yr. Everytime I talked to her she made it seem as if I were one of the top candidates, blah blah blah. I find out that she interviews ONE person who isnt even from this county, and she hires her. She then has the nerve to email me and thank me for my interest but tell me the position has been filled. I was so pissed. I used to think she was nice, but now I have other opinions because of the fact that she led me to believe she would interview me and then didnt even give me a chance. Im not saying I am better than the person she hired, but the fact of the matter is I made myself known and made it known that I was very interested in being there, and I knew I would work well with the teachers because I knew all of them. Oh well tho, her loss.

12. always question

always question New Member

Jun 27, 2007

Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat! Carebear, it's interesting that you received the same "spiel" I did. I can't TELL you the number of times I've been told that I'm "on the VERY short-list" for one of the positions I really want. Yeah, right. Meanwhile, I hear from 2 teachers that both of their student-teachers were hired-on AT SEMESTER for next year. A few weeks later we receive a school-wide message "congratulating" and "welcoming" 2 OTHER teachers who have recently finished-up a 5 year technology position. WHAT?!?!?! There are 4 filled positions right-off-the-bat, not to mention that my admin. already told me that there is at least 1 other teacher who has seniority over me who is looking to make "the change," too. So, unless more than 5 positions in KINDERGARTEN come open, I'm screwed. Not to mention that fact that at our last meeting, we were informed that registration was down and right now, if the numbers don't drastically improve, she's going to have to LAY OFF teachers! But still, hiring 4 NEW TEACHERS is appropriate? Hmmmm.

Not that I'm bitter or anything :), but get this. If I've already mentioned it, move along to below...

We had about 10 weeks of school left, when another teacher asked me what/where I would be next year. Wondering why she was so interested, she informed me that she was TAKING MY ROOM (and place)!!!!! Hello! Why was she the first to tell me??? The last time I had asked, I was VERBALLY (unfortunately) guaranteed that if I did not receive the new position, my current one was "SET IN STONE." I guess that "stone" was made out of playdough, b/c it didn't hold up for anything. I asked about the "situation," and the question right back to me was "where did you hear this information?" As if it was just a rumor. When I explained that MY REPLACEMENT told me, well, she had nothing to say then. Just that "I've already told you that you're on the very short list!" Oh, that's one-hell-of-a sure bet!

So, one month before the end of school I asked about if I had a position for next year, so that I could start looking if need be. That's when the "short list" conversation took place yet AGAIN! It was then that I started looking at new systems. I mean, I can't wait until August and then find out that I'm unemployed! But that's the expectation, I guess.

Even last week when I "interviewed" for a new position (isn't that a joke?), I was told that it would be another 3-4 weeks until they get back to me. WHAT?!?!?! That's the middle of July! If the job bank is small now, I can just imagine by that time!

You girls are right. What ARE administrators thinking, anyway? I truly don't believe it's about us personally, that's for sure. And honestly, I don't see how some of these decisions are in the best interest of the school, children or families, either.

Just yesterday I had 2 moms ask if I wanted to start our own school. It was jokingly said, of course, but wouldn't that be nice? Really. To run a school where I'd allow teachers to actually teach the way they need to, and treat them like PEOPLE, what a dream~

I'm long-winded when I'm passionate. Sorry. I'm keeping good thoughts for ALL of us!

Keep me posted!

13. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

Well I find this amusing..the principal that I mentioned in my post above called me today to offer me...an instructional assistant position. Yet, she tried to make it sound as if the position was more than just an aide's position or whatever. I love how the county doesnt feel the need to hire me as a teacher YET they always recommend for other jobs... which are jobs that are obviously beneath my skills and education. Thanks a lot right? I'm just glad I have my job already because I'm sick of dealing with them.

14. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

I keep being surprised at how much I read about principals on these threads - when do they lose their perspective? I just don't get it!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

A number of them taught for a short time, then got into administration. For many, it's been a long time since they were in their own class.

Permit me to repeat: I firmly believe that all schools should do what we do in my school: EVERYONE teaches! Aside from the nurse, the custodial staff and the secretaries, everyone teaches. That's our president, prinicpal, director of guidance, chaplain... everyone!

16. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 28, 2007

Yes that is the way it should be, but it is not...

17. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

My daughter went to a private school for preschool last year that goes up through 8th grade. I know they have the same policy - the principal even teaches 8th grade science.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2007

Our principal taught 9th grade religion this year; the AP for academics alternates between science and religion depending on what's needed; our President teaches Latin, the AP for Personell teaches French, the Dean teaches Junior History... I could go on and on. None has a full class load; each teaches 2 or 3 classes. But they get a real feel for the kids. It helps keep them grounded.