Landed job out of state but can't afford to move!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by katfzl, Jul 10, 2011.

1. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

Very upset today. I'm a new teacher and I landed a job out of state, but I'm married with 3 kids, and since I haven't been working we have NO money saved. Now we're not sure we can afford the move to the new state! We would be making 6 figures between the two of us, but we can't get there. I never thought this would be possible.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

Can you take out a loan to cover moving expenses? Or maybe borrow money from family?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

ok, relax. Take stock of what you have. Do you have any liquid assets that you could safely sell? Any family or friends that can help you out? Perhaps a short term loan (stay away from those paycheck places though!) Would it be an option for either you or your spouse to move first?

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

I agree with kc--check your assets and check with the bank to see if you will qualify for a line of credit.. When I first moved here, everything I owned was in storage. I bought an air mattress and slept and sat on that for almost 3 months until I could afford to move my things out of storage. I didn't even have a car for 1.5 months. My assistant principal found someone who lived a few minutes away from me to drive me to school (I paid for gas). My assistant or principal drove me home (I took the bus a few times too).

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 10, 2011

I managed to move from Atlanta, GA to Fargo, ND for less than $1000. I did have one advantage most don't, and that is a relative that owns an RV and a trailer and has the ability to drive the RV while towing the trailer.

I paid for gas and food. The food was purchased at grocery stores not at restaurants. We stayed in truck stops instead of hotels.

If you're creative, you can figure out a way.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

Do you have a house to sell, which would give you some money...what about a rental deposit you'd get back?

Do you have any savings bonds, mature or not, that you could cash in...even if they're in your kids' names? You can pay them back later.

Weed through your family's belongings and hold a HUGE garage sale. Not only would you make some money, but you'd have less to move. We move fairly often (this is our 8th house in 14 years of marriage) and I weed out each time. It's amazing the amount of stuff we accumulate in between moves, and it's amazing what people will buy from a yard sale!

So many people are stuck without teaching jobs. If you turned one down, you may not find another. I'd try my hardest to make it work, if I were you.

8. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

My husband was laid off for 15 months, and became employed a year ago (we had to move for that). Anyway, because of that we have no assets. I brought up putting everything in storage and going and surviving until we could get it but he is unwilling to do that as it would ultimately cost more. Seems set that my parent help but I don't think they are going to. When I mentioned the cost of the move (which is uhaul type move by the way, it's $1000 just for the truck and a trailer to tow a car) my mom suggested I put stuff in storage. Didn't offer to help, so you get the drift. Aaagh. It's a mess. The only way I see to go is to leave with stuff in storage but ultimately that is much more money, which is his issue. I think he should just suck it up and deal with the short term inconvenience and expense of the move so that I can get my career going and the double income. Maybe my parents will come through...

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

Have you come out and asked your parents for the money? Setting up a payment plan with them may also help them come around. If gas would cost cheaper than towing, could both of you drive?

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2011

Do you have a lot of credit card debt.....if not, I would apply for a zero percent offer- believe it or not, there are still a lot of them out there! Citi bank has many that are 15 months- zero percent for purchases...of course you should make a plan to pay it off before then so that it doesnt get out of control.

How far are we talking for the move?

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

I agree - don't tow the car. It's more expensive, and if you could pack the car full to the brim with stuff, you can possibly get a smaller (and cheaper) truck.

Would it be possible for you to go ahead without your family, maybe renting a room in another teacher's home, until you get your first paycheck...which would then enable you to move? Another teacher did this at our school last year. She rented a spare room from an older teacher whose kids had left home for a month (I think she was charged about $100). After her first paycheck, she got her own apartment and her husband brought her stuff. They didn't have kids, though.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 10, 2011

Ultimately he has to decide if a short term cost is worth a long term gain. It might not actually cost more to put stuff into storage for a few months. Truck rental prices, like airline and gas prices, fluctuate with the seasons. Summer is the busiest moving season so trucks are more expensive. If you put your stuff in storage for a few months and moved in the fall, the price could drop enough to break even. Also, for one way moves, U-Haul is one of the more expensive brands. Check the cost of other self-move trucks. I'll ask my sister what she used. She paid less than that to move from L.A. to Atlanta.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

It sounds like you and your husband really need to sit down and discuss this. Make a list of your options, your thoughts, etc. Come right out and ask your parents for help. Have a garage sell. With three kids, you're bound to have accumulated a LOT of stuff that you can easily sell to help pay for this move. Take out a loan. Anything to get you over there.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

Where would you be moving from and to? It's possible you know someone in the area who could help out some, or who knows someone with a house to rent or something.

15. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

Loan isn't an option because we lost a home to foreclosure when he was unemployed. (I was student teaching at the time of layoff-he is a finance guy who is now a Fed and doesn't make as much as he used to). Most of the sell off already happened before the move here. It really is a difficult mess. I personally think putting stuff in storage is what is going to have to happen. He thinks we can't afford the storage, hotel, but I think we can make it through for a little while. If I start work mid August for new teacher training, do I not get paid until September? (Paid once a month, at the end of the month). That would hurt...
    Aaaah, I remember the corporate moves of the past. Now that was the way to move...

16. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

I agree about the seasonal cost of moving. I was going to go with Penske as they were cheaper, and with two cars and a truck we have no choice but to tow one of the cars if we bring our things.

17. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

1400 mile move.

18. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

We have a large rental deposit, which I hope to get most of back, but my landlord is really something else, so not sure.... Plus won't get it back in time to use for truck. I'll figure this out somehow. I always do...
    I know about the frequent moves. Our family has moved (from state to state) four times in the last 6 years. It has really drained us. That on top of the layoff. It's been awful.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 10, 2011

Kat, I know it's tough. I faced this dilemma a year and a half ago. I was lucky. A family member helped. I was broke for a looooooooong time after that, but it eventually worked out. I think it would be wise to sit down and crunch the numbers. What would it cost to move in the short term, including storage, vs. what it would cost to not take this job. Many people get caught up in the emotion and the stress and it takes seeing the numbers in black and white before they can get passed that.

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

Here's something you may want to check with in your new district. One place I worked at offered a bridge loan for new teachers who had to wait all that time for their first check to come in. The loan was repaid in three installments beginning with the Nov check.
    Another option is to move by yourself and stay in a cheap long stay hotel until you get your first check. That would give your husband time to save up, sell stuff, or put stuff in storage, what ever you decide to do.
    Much of this decision will depend upon how supportive your husband is towards your new career.

21. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

And a cheap hotel may not cost much more than your rent for a month. Do you have any credit cards that you could put the truck fee on? Will you get a signing bonus? Ask about relocation packages at your new job? Ask - you won't be prefers anything unless you ask. You have to balance out long term goals with short term costs.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

Well, right, but I once moved 1600 miles and stopped along the way and stayed with friends or friends of friends. I worked the alumni association from my high school and college and made connections. When I got there, I got a quick part time job to make a little money before I go my first teaching paycheck.

My first teaching job I was able to split my first year of pay into 13 checks so that I could get one that first August. They were all a bit less, but I got money when I needed it. You may have that option in your new district.

23. gettingthere12

gettingthere12 Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

Hi,

i hope you and your family can make the move! It is good to hear that you were picked up! If you dont mind me asking, where did you get a job? Many districts are cutting back!:help:

Thanks!

24. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

I'm going to ask next week about bridge loans, etc when I sign my contract (it's being sent in the mail). If I was younger and didn't have three kids, this would be easier, but I'm mid 40's with a 7, 12 and 16 year old and enough things to fill a 4 bedroom 2400 sq foot house. It's a whole different ball of wax than when I was younger, lol!

25. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

new teacher loans

To the teachers that got these new teacher/bridge loans, were you eligible once you signed your contract, or did you have to wait until you started work?

26. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 10, 2011

I just checked on something about Bridge Loans--I had remembered something about these from when I was hired. The deal was that, a teacher/educator's credit union would do these loans for 75% of your monthly salary (this was a Texas CU) with monthly payroll deductions. That might help you--apparently some of the new college grads had to do these to move and get set up, but the same would apply if you're relocating. :)

Also, your husband has a job, right? You said he is a fed employee? Can he get loan from his Thrift Savings Plan? That isn't ideal, I know, but it's very low interest. (I used to be a fed employee)

Congrats on the job!!! I am also in Texas and there aren't many jobs (except for my old district, which is weird, but I think people are fed up and leaving....:| ).

27. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 10, 2011

I think that you should do what you can to move for this job. Will your husband have a job when you move the 1400 miles? Would this move make you the main breadwinner? You have worked hard to get your education to be a teacher and I think it's time to go for it. Have you already accepted the job? If so, then you are committed to the move. Find a way.

28. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2011

As a LAST LAST LAST resort, you could always dip into your retirement account HOWEVER, put aside 30% of it for taxes so you don't get in trouble for tax time.

29. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jul 10, 2011

You mean from her last job? How does this work...I'm interested to know. Where/Who do you get it from?

30. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2011

You would have to search for retirement for your state. I've already checked this out....

31. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

He will have to process a transfer to the other location (another hurdle). He has only been a Fed for one year, so no significant savings to pull out and I don't have a retirement account. I'm a new graduate (subbed last year-couldn't get a job-we moved for his new Fed job right after I finished student teaching). He will make more money than me and continue to do so. He is working way under his "grade" as a new Fed as he has significant industry experience. I want to make the move and am working on a way to get it done. I'll know more next week.

32. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Leaving tomorrow

Parents came through (as did my husband's transfer) and we are leaving tomorrow for my new position with all our things!

33. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

Awesome! Congrats! I'm so glad everything worked out :)

34. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

Congratulations and good luck with everything!

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Congrats!

36. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

That is awesome!!!!! Good Luck!!

37. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2011

Yay!! Congrats!! I was wondering how things were going :)

38. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 9, 2011

Good luck!

39. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

Congrats! Glad everything worked out.

I hope things only go up for you from here.

40. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

Yay! Congratulations!!!

41. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, Kat! Glad it all worked out! :)