Landed a Job, but Unsure...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Olive.Owl, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jun 14, 2011

I had an interview this morning for a teaching position at a school about thirty minutes from me. I felt like I really connected with the principal and the other administration. Unfortunately, in the middle of the interview, I found out the position was to team teach, which I am not fond of. I had team taught last year and found it very difficult and stressful at times. This was my first year teaching, and I had always thought I would have students and a class of my own, and I find it discouraging to have been offered the same thing again.

I was offered the job on the spot, and would have been a fool to reject the offer. I was also caught in the moment with the warm administration. Now I am having second thoughts. I was asked not to interview for any other positions since I accepted the job, and I know it is a big no-no to go looking when I've accepted something already.

I love teaching, but I don't love team teaching. I tried to put the situation in the best light...maybe I would really click with the woman I would be teaching with, maybe we could make it a successful endeavor, etc...but instead of celebrating this afternoon I was crying about making a rash decision.

What should I do? I am grateful to have a job so early in the game, but I don't want to dread going to work every day. Should I call tomorrow and say I am having second thoughts? Should I continue my job search anyhow? I don't want to burn any bridges or jeopardize my career, but I want to be happy too...

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 14, 2011

Have you met the other teacher you're going to team with? I wouldn't make a decision without talking with him/her first. Perhaps this team-teaching experience will be different.

4. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jun 14, 2011

I would feel very lucky to have received the offer. It is not such a horrible thing to team teach. Maybe you will really hit it off with the other teacher this time. Personally, I think so many people would jump at the chance to have any teaching job, I think you should feel lucky you rec'd the offer. JMO

5. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Jun 14, 2011

If you dont "feel" that its right, then I would not do it.

And all of this " I would take a teacher job no matter what it is" is some mess people are telling others....cause I wouldnt want to take a job if I know I wont be happy working in.

Just think about it and then decide :)

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 14, 2011

Wow- hmm....being asked not to interview for other positions- I do not, is that the norm? They actually came out and said that? That seems a bit unusual to me for them to come out and say that like that. I have never heard of that happening around here. Is it a public school?

Have you met the teacher you will be teaming with? Could you ask to observe (school is still in session here, I do not know about where you are, but it could be a possibility?) and/or meet her or get together with her at the very least?

As a first year teacher, I can totally understand being disappointed and at times struggling and stressing about teaming. Yikes- I do not think I would like that- unless I knew and was super comfy with the other person. That must have been very difficult.

Yes, I think at the very least I would insist upon meeting/observing my team teacher and seeing if your styles match up etc. What would the schedule be- would both of you be teaching at the same time in the same room or sharing the kids- what exactly does the team teaching situation look like. Team teaching means different things in different districts around here.

I think from your post here there is a red flag- not celebrating today- that would mean trouble for me....good luck! I understand the feeling of being torn to keep it or to follow your heart and I don't know how you can teach without your heart in it and going in dreading it is a huge disservice to the kids. Best wishes. Don't make any hasty decisions, but do call and ask to observe or meet at least.

7. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jun 14, 2011

Yes, it is a public school.

I would like to meet my cohort too, but she is moving from another city at the end of the month. She has been teaching for a few years, but will be new to the school like me. The P mentioned how she would like us to get together too, but we would have to wait until she moved.

I'm a jumble of thoughts and emotions. We'll see how it works out, and thank you for confirming that I'm not out of my mind, haha.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2011

In the district I just resigned from, and in other districts in Florida that I have worked in, it is common to be told that you can't interview for another job in the district once you have made a verbal or written commitment about an offer.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 14, 2011

I wonder if you could Skype with your new cohort?

Personally last year was a bit stressful for me too and then this year I got an amazing team person and it was GREAT!

Also I think you have to know what it means to "team" at that school. Every school has different definitions of that. For our school, it doesn't mean you won't have your own classroom or that you won't be teaching your kids by yourself. It does mean there are periods where you are together and there is at least some planning together. We try to be on a similar page, etc.

In this economy, it is important to understand that if you give up this job, you may not get another chance. I can understand your apprehension though based on your previous experience but I also know that it can be vastly different with the right "click."

10. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jun 14, 2011

I contemplated contacting her, because I am pretty sure I found her Facebook account (hee hee). I like the Skype idea though! I decided against contacting her in case I rescinded my acceptance, and didn't want to embarrass myself any further. According to Facebook, we don't have much in common, lol. She is younger, like myself, but you really can't tell much about a person by perusing their interests and pictures.

I totally agree with your last comment. I do not want to be kicking myself because I made a selfish/bratty decision. I am debating calling my P tomorrow, or just contacting the team teacher, and explaining my apprehension and seeing if I could be given more time to meet the team teacher and see if I feel like we would work together.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2011

Maybe the definition of "team" teaching varies.? When I think of our team--and we call it our team, we each have our own classroom with our own rules and procedures, but we collaborate a lot. We teach our own kids all day long and only occasionally change classes.

12. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

See, I like your mentioned style of teaching. Team teaching, as I was told, is where we would be sharing about 30 students in the same classroom; we would have to agree on the same classroom management, transitions, etc... I have done it before, and found myself stressed, irritated, and unable to implement everything I have learned in school and from the many textbooks and PDs I have read.

I am being told that since I am still a young teacher, that "this is the only thing I'll get," but I know I'm good at what I do and want to have a room, class, and teaching style of my own.

13. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 16, 2011

The first thing to remember about team teaching is it's like a maraige. You have to work at it. Each of you will come in with your own ideas and dreams and you'll have to merge them together to make a working classroom. I did this for 4 years with 4 different teachers. Only one of them really didn't work out. Here's what i suggest you do.
    Make a written plan. Write down every little thing you can think of. Procedures for every little thing, grading, Rules. etc. Then write down everything that went well for you last year and everything you would LIKE to change/do this year.
    Bring these things with you when you meet with her before school starts.
    Planning and communication are the key. The 2 of you should agree on a way to nicely let the other know when you are frusterated.
    If you come into this looking prepared and profesional you will get more of your ideas incorporated.

14. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 16, 2011

you will both be new to the school, so that's an advantage. you both have the same worries. I agree with creating a plan and be willing to modify some of your ideas. if there is some you can't change then let her know. also, you will teach your way, she will teach hers. give it a try.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2011

One of the most successful team teaching situations I've been in was with someone who was my complete opposite--male, early 30s, no children, 'gamer'. We both approached the year with more than a little trepidation, and ended it sorry that it was over.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2011

I would be miserable team-teaching (although we would call it co-teaching), so I understand your reservations. Best wishes in making your decision.

17. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Jun 16, 2011

I team taught one of the years I taught high school. I really got along with my team teacher on a personal level. We were close in age, had a lot of the same interests, a similar outlook on life, similar sense of humor.

It was a spectacular disaster.

18. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jun 17, 2011

All of my reservations have gotten the best of me. I decided that I will phone in today, explain in brevity my thoughts and feelings to the P, and rescind my offer.

I appreciate everyone's advice. <3 Hopefully I will not regret this, but will be happy I did it, as I am confident in my innovation and abilities. I will update with any future news.

19. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2011

You have to do what you feel is best for you. Do you know if all of the teachers team teach in this school? I would hate to leave supportive administration if team teaching could be just a one year thing....

20. rtucker23661

rtucker23661 Rookie

Jun 17, 2011

Please keep us updated. I am new to the education profession and have no idea about the ends and outs of how things operate.

During my time as a sub, it was nice to have a co-teacher in the room with me. Together we were able to have better classroom management.

I do understand your feelings of wanting your own class and students. I get my license in August and really want to find a job to start in Sept. I am ready to establish my own way of doing things (so I can see what works and what doesn't).

Good luck :)

21. fedfanforever11

fedfanforever11 Rookie

Jun 17, 2011

ohh if it's not too late, i would suggest not doing it! elementary jobs are so hard to come across, and you got one! you can always apply for more jobs, or transfer within the district next year, and you'll have a year of experience. would you be happier subbing or working this job?

22. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 17, 2011

In my area, there is a big difference between team teaching and co-teaching. I would ask for more specific information before I back out of my offer.

23. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jun 17, 2011

I went ahead and called.

This was definitely co-teaching/team teaching in the aspect that there would be two teachers, one room, one group of students. This school is unable to have portables; therefore, more students + no room = co-teach classrooms. The P respected my decision, but still tried to graciously lure me in. I told her that despite my odds, and not having anything else lined up, this is what I wanted. I did not want to interview behind her back when I already gave her my word that I wouldn't.

I think the most difficult part was leaving such a great principal/administration. She was even nice enough to say, "I know you won't have a difficult time finding a job," so we will see about that.

I have never ever been a risk-taker, and as much as this curdled my stomach, I feel somewhat exhilarated from the decision. I do not feel defeated...only more anxious and determined to land something else...something that is not co-teaching, lol.

Like I said, I hope to post soon with better news.