Land line

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by BethMI, Jul 31, 2009.

1. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

My husband and I are thinking of getting rid of our land line in an attempt to save money. It would save $46 a month. We each have a cell that has unlimited texts and tons of minutes-so that's not a problem. Any reasons we shouldn't? What am I forgetting/not thinking about? Thanks!

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 31, 2009

I know three friends that do this. Personally, our coverage inside our house is iffy and our cell phones drop calls so we would never do it. But you're definitely not odd for considering it. As long as you're not going to go over in minutes, or have to upgrade by as much as your land line already is, I see no reason not to.

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

I dropped my land line...it was $62.00 a month of nothing by a means by which to phone ourselves and find our cell phones that might have been left in the living room. We have verizon which works very well. We don't get charged to call each other or other verizon people (which it seems many we know ARE)...andI guess five others. We share a package..the smallest we could get...and don't even use HALF of the minutes alloted. I was concerned about the texting-but that was covered as well. My kids pay their share..and all of our cell bills are cheaper than if we had separate accounts.

Now we make sure where we place our cell phones...and the $62 a month goes towards other bills.

I went in to cancel my tv...and they offered me the SAME price that was for the equivilent of my internet ONLY...for my same tv coverage and only slightly slower internet. Unbelievable the savings they are holding out on for people who don't go into their office to attemtpt to drop their services.

Check on ALL your utilites...they MIGHT have plans they don't want you to know about!

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Interesting!!! I know Verizon gives me an educator's discount. Wonder if other utilities do???

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2009

The only thing I can think of is 911 service. When I called 911 for an ambulance, I used my cell since I was outside and I had to wait to get transferred. It was bad enough being in a lot of pain and having to get transferred, but I don't think I would have been too happy if there were some home intruder or imminent danger kind of situations and I had to wait for a transfer.

7. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 31, 2009

Good point..never thought about that.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

Make sure you ahve a car charger, so that if you lose power and your phone is dead, you can plug it into your car.

Other than that, I got rid of mine awhile ago.

9. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I would love to get rid of my home phone, but our security system needs a phone line. And with my husband working 3rds once a month and the fact that someone tried to break in two summers ago....I am not ready to give up the security system!

10. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 31, 2009

No landline here for 3 years - total waste of my $$$$! We also have a burglar alarm, but it goes through our internet.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2009

That was my only thought. When we got hit with the hurricane last year with no power for almost 2 weeks - my phone that hangs in the kitchen still worked (which I didn't realize until it rang one day and scared me). I should get rid of mine, I never answer it-the only people that call that number are telemarketers-everyone I know has my cell phone.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2009

I got rid of my house phone years ago and I've never had a problem. I just recently purchased the Magic Jack...that's been iffy but overall I am pleased.

13. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Thanks! I am waiting on the alarm company to call me back. My DH goes away A LOT and I must have the alarm.

14. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Do you have the "tracking" thing on your phone for 911? I don't remember what they call it, but seems they should be able to use that to find you, right??

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

$552.00 a year!

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

We don't have a land line, never have. We do have friends who recently dropped to one cell phone and added a land line because when they have a babysitter they don't want to wonder if the sitter's phone is charged or if he/she knows where it is it there is an emergency. I guess in that case I might consider a land line, but I would be more likely to plug one of our phones in and leave it home.

17. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 31, 2009

dizzykates post is what I was going to mention. We haven't gotten rid of our landline purely based on kids. My boys are 4 & 6. I worry about a babysitter forgetting her phone or it being dead. I just don't think the boys need cell phones yet so I'd like the option of a home phone. My 6 year old has a friend who has called a couple times this summer . . . and it's nice to have a number in the phone book that they can find. I know many teachers have unlisted numbers, but with kids, I just haven't been able to do that. (Although our address is unlisted)

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

I was about to get rid of mine but just signed for a package with Comcast where I get digital cable, internet and phone cheaper than what I pay for cable and internet together.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2009

I didn't have one until I moved into my current house. I do not get a signal, so I have Vonage.
    Otherwise, I would definitely get rid of it!

20. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

:( I had been thinking about that. We have a 5yo that has gotten a few playdate phone calls. I hadn't thought about the sitter. Maybe cuz we don't have one!! We are lucky to have g'parents that usually do it, although we really need to find one! But I think I would leave one of our phones home like dizzykates mentioned. Thanks for the thoughtful info!!! :)

21. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

WOW!!! That's great. We don't have comcast in the city I currently live in (had it at my old houses). So dumb. I swear it's a ploy so that this cruddy company we have will get everyone to use them.

22. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

When you call 911 from a land line I am pretty sure that they can locate you right away. So if for some reason you can't speak or you get disconnected, they know at least where to send help. I don't think they can tell where you are.
    (Double check this with the phone company, I am almost sure that it is true)

23. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

When friends start calling the house it is also nice to know who is calling and who your kids are calling. With cell phones, you never know who your kid is talking to!

24. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

Even with the kids having their own cell phones, we have a land line. I like having the extra security of knowing the phone is their. Do we use it much? NO! Maybe twice a month but if I ever need to call 911 I know it's there.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2009

My BF's parents haven't had landlines for yrs, they only use their cells.
    My household would never cancel our landline (we have 2 separate lines in the house), we're not the types of people who like having the cell attached to our ear anyway. We still like the landline to be primary & the cell only for emergencies & light talking when we're out of the house.

26. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

We got rid of our land line about 2 years ago and have never missed it. My husband and I each have a cell phone, his has our old lineland number, but we rarely use the phones-we are also not 'phone people'. We don't have small children, so that is not a problem and when my husband severly cut his leg at home and called 911, there was no problem at all.

27. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

A few years back I called 911 from my cell phone and the dispatcher knew where I was calling from. The paramedics arrived very quickly, too.

28. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 31, 2009

If you opt for a land line without the frills, you can get away with spending about $13 per month. I don't have a land line now, but I will when I have children.

29. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

We have kept our land line, but pushed it back to the absolute bare minimum of a plan. Out here a 911 call on a cell phone goes to the Highway Patrol dispatch about 50 miles away and then they route your call. The times I've had to call 911 for DH I wanted someone who knew where we were and could help us immediately. That's why we won't go with just cells.

30. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 31, 2009

We don't get good cell reception most places in our town because we're rural and in a valley. There is NO service in downtown, and there are just pockets of service here and there.

I get a discount on my phone and internet by having them with the same provider. We save on the cell phone bills by using prepaid ones. With very little service area in our city, it's mostly used out of town anyway.

31. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

They do???? How do you get it?:D

32. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

I called up and told them I'm an educator, did they have any discounts, and they did! Forget what it is, 15-20%???

33. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

I got rid of mine because we were being harassed on it (long story). Haven't missed it yet!

34. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

We still have our landline, but got rid of all the "extras" which brought our monthly phone bill down to under $20 a month.

35. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

The darn alarm company never called me back. I can't do anything until I talk with them. If I have to keep the land line, I want to get rid of everything on it and have the bare minimum-hopefully that will help with the cost.

36. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Who do you use? With mine I have to pay a whopping $5 extra a month but it plugs right into my internet router.

37. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

I hate talking on cell phones. I find them too small and fuzzy sounding.
    We will keep our land line until the kids move out and cell phones improve.

38. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Your alarm?? We use a small company here in MI.