Land and Water Forms

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by kam21, Jul 7, 2009.

1. kam21

kam21 New Member

Jul 7, 2009

Hello,
    I want to order some new land/water forms but I am having a hard time finding the ones with the spouts in the corner or just any that don't look cheap or are $200. Any suggestions for where I can look? Thank you for your help!

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

I just saw on someone's blog that she made them using photo developing trays that have a pouring spout. I haven't seen them in the M. magazines.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

That's what I've seen too.

We have these in our classroom:

http://www.prioritymontessori.com/images/115L.JPG

They're made of the photo developing trays and blue and brown clay. I'm sure you'd be able to make them MUCH cheaper than what they charge for them. ($175.00)

5. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

Those are nice. Priority Montessori does have some of the best materials around.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

7. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

Yes, I have that work. I want to get the bird egg/bird matching work. I made the parts of a volcano mat that looks like the one they have a couple of years ago.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen that one. It sounds really great!

We are lucky in that we get money from the State of Ohio to purchase materials for the classroom and I have been able to get lots of their things for my space.

What do you use for planets? I like the planets that Priority has, but I seem to need to order a new set every 2 years because they crack.

9. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

I have the planets too. The sun is all broken and I was trying to figure out how to fix it. I was wondering if my planets are out of date? Is Pluto a planet? We have a budget which is tied directly to our annual fund. I spent a huge amount on some nice practical life works. Now, that I have a tiled space in the classroom, I wanted to do more of the PL works of washing, ironing, etc. I just received the ironing board and iron from the Lord Company today. The iron is so cute! I am ordering the scrub stand from Juliana. I figure that it will take up less room than the big table type washing stand. I am looking for a drying rack which I will probably get from Montessori Services.

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

Pluto is no longer a planet. I took all of the pieces of the sun that broke off and glued them back on one year with Gorilla Glue. It looked a little funny, but it was fairly decent.

I wish we could do the ironing work. We are not allowed to have any type of heating elements in the classroom, unfortunately. A child got 2nd degree burns on his legs once from spilling hot water on himself (in a different classroom) and it was just too much.

One thing I've done that the kids loved was toast with butter in a toaster. I found the absolutely perfect toaster, and had it out on the shelf with the bread and individual servings of butter. The kids absolutely loved making their own toast and then bringing it to the snack table to put the butter on it. Man, I wish we could do that one again.

I don't think I"ve ever heard of Juliana. Do you have a link for me? I'd love to see it. I do have the washing stand from Lord and it's huge. It takes up a lot of space in my tiny classroom.

11. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

Sure, Here is the link.

http://www.julianagroup.com/

That is too bad about not being able to use the iron and toaster. The iron that I ordered from LORD has a detachable cord. You only plug it in for 3 minutes and it will stay hot for about 10 minutes.

That must have been really hot water to cause 2nd degree burns.

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, I can only imagine. Poor kid. It's a shame we have to deal with the fall out from one irresponsible teacher. I kept telling her to get a little insulated pot for coffee and to put warmer water in there, but not hot, but she had to use something completely different that heated water way too much.

Thanks for the link. I can't wait to check it out!

13. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

Is your school public or private? You are lucky that you can get grants from your state. Here in Illinois that don't even pay their bills.

14. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

We are private.