laminator question

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by rosew, Mar 11, 2009.

1. rosew

rosew Companion

Mar 11, 2009

HI..i have a scotch personal laminator..my question is..not sure if its the laminator or the pouches but it really makes my stuff too hard..i have to round all the ends or they are sharp..my friend has one(not scotch) and hers are softer, similiar to if you have it done at a teacher store or if you do it yourself with contact paper..was just wondering if anyone knows if its the pouches I use that make it too hard..

thanks

rose

3. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

Mine too

I don't know offhand what brand my little laminator is, but my things also have the sharp corners. I think it's the kind of laminate, it's a double edge sword -it lasts longer/more durable, however it hurts! Office Max has the same durable sharp laminate too, and theirs is the rolls. I guess you would have to keep trying different pouches? I buy my pouches at Sam's because they are really cheap for a lot!
    Good Luck!

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 11, 2009

It could be the pouches as they come in different thicknesses. The thicker they are the stiffer they are. I usually use the 3mil, but a lot of people generally use the 5 mil, which I think leaves a square edge sharp. I order all mine from laminator.com. they always have a special of buy two boxes get one free and I end up getting 300 laminator pouches, including shipping for around 30-35 dollars. I haven't been able to beat the price anywhere.

5. rosew

rosew Companion

Mar 12, 2009

I think you might be right..I got my pouches from laminator.com and I accidently got the 5ml..I just used one of my friends 3ml pouch from staples and it was a lot less stiff..

thanks

Rose

6. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Mar 12, 2009

Depending on what I am laminating and the purpose, I use a different thickness of pouch. If it is something the kids are going to handle (such as a game), I use a thick pouch. Since the 5ml pouches can laminate hard, I round off the corners by cutting them.

Thin pouches are used for display purposes and laminating certificates.