Lamination problem

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by knittingbec, Aug 21, 2007.

1. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

Yesterday I was so excited... I inherited a brand-new calendar from a friend and decided to hot glue magnets to the back of the calendar and the number squares for use on the chalkboard. I finished all of the magnets for one set of numbers that were already laminated and decided that since it was a fairly small lamination project, I'd bring the other set of numbers home and run them through my Xyron laminator (the personal-use kind, with a crank). I took them to school today and got right to hot-gluing and sticking them up on the calendar to make a pattern. I pulled one off to rearrange the pattern and the number square came right off the magnet! So, of course, I tried it with the others and sure enough, all of the squares came off.
    Has anyone else had a problem like this? And more importantly, anyone have a solution??

Thanks!

3. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

So the problem is that the laminated number won't stay attached to the magnet? Try something other then hot glue... like Crazy Glue.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 21, 2007

I make slits in the calendar and put paper clips in it to hold my numbers. Easier and cheaper.

5. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Aug 21, 2007

It's probably because it's cold lamination. Because adhesive keeps it together (not heat) it leaves an invisible film on the outside of what you have laminated. Use Expo dry erase board cleaner on it to clean it off. Once you start wiping you'll feel it start to come off. Then it should work the same as your other numbers.

6. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

I use adhesive backed magnetic tape for my numbers. It comes in a roll at any craft store or Walmart. It lasted for years. When the adhesive failed I just put clear tape over the magnet strip & it works fine. Good luck.

7. JRR

JRR Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I have done the same thing. I haven't found anything that sticks to the Zyron lamination. It's slick or something. I know that they have a film you can get with the lamination on the front and magnet on the back. You could try running it through again. OR...just popped into my head...maybe you could take a nail file and rough up the back side...hmmm

So sorry this happened...I learned the hard way too. They don't say anything about that on the box!

8. JRR

JRR Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Just read on another page that someone uses packing tape on the back of cold laminated items and then put the tape/magnet on the packing tape. That just might work!

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2007

I've heard velcro is great for a calendar. The little dots are a good size, you get them in the fabric section.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2007

I use velcro dots on mine, and it works great. Use them on my job chart too :)

11. funkychickenchi

funkychickenchi Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

It's a lot of extra work, but scratch the back of the lamination with some sandpaper.

12. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

Thanks for the advice! I tried using the dry erase board cleaner today. As I was scrubbing, I noticed I could see a sort of "graininess" leave the laminated surface. I thought it might be quicker to scrape it with a quarter, and I can visibly see the difference in texture. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the glue will stick tomorrow!
    Next project: getting a whole bunch of tape residue (and paint pen lines!) off of the chalkboard!