Laminating question

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MsAnn, Aug 31, 2006.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 31, 2006

I lamenated construction paper with lilypads on them. I want to cut the lilypads out but my husband says it will fall apart... the director of my school says it won't. Who is right?? I want to cut them because it would be so much cuter but certainly don't want them to fall apart.

3. PB&J

PB&J Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

I have had both happen. I wonder if it depends on the lamination. I would try one and see. The laminator I use now you do have to leave a border around the print. Meaning you have to cut it out before you laminate and again after.

4. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Aug 31, 2006

Same problem here. I have to cut the things out and then laminate them because they peel apart.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 31, 2006

When I cut laminated things out I leave a border around it. This way they wont fall apart.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 31, 2006

I always leave a border. I find the "thick" laminate doesn't peel as badly as the cheaper, thinner stuff. I HAVE to cut, laminate, and then cut again, because it does fall apart otherwise.

7. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 31, 2006

Thank you for the feedback! I'll probably do what clarnet mentioned and laminate, cut and relaminate.

8. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Aug 31, 2006

I've never had my laminate fall apart when I cut it, but I have the main office do all my lamination for me so I don't know what kind of process they use.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 31, 2006

I think it peels most often if there's no "lip" of excess or if the laminate isn't hot enough.

10. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Aug 31, 2006

If you cut, laminate, and cut again, you will see a border around the object that looks like a big air bubble. If you don't cut through the bubble, it shouldn't peel apart.

11. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 31, 2006

If you glued the lily pads on and cut too close to the edge, it will break apart. I've had that happen. It also depends on who does your laminations. Usually the machine takes 30 mins or so to warm up. If they don't let it warm up, then when you start cutting it will fall apart.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2006

MsAnn- I think some responses are misinterpreting what you have. You laminated complete peices of construction paper with lily pads drawn on them, if I am understanding correctly. They will peel if you cut them out like this as the lilly pad will not be completely encased in the laminate. You need to precut shapes, then laminate. When you cut out leave a margin of laminate around the shape. They will last longer, less likely to peel and are somewhat 'waterproof' (not for dunking in liquid but will not absorb liquid if anything is spilled or you need to wipe off with a damp cloth...) I know you have been planning this lily pad idea for a while and you want it to come out right-I would start again or do what clarnet said but this can have mixe results as well...:sorry:

13. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Sep 2, 2006

I have laminated pieces of paper and then used them in the die cut machine. I use the cut out things for cubby signs and things around the room and I don't have problems with it coming off. For something that the students use or for something that will be in a place where food or liquid will touch it, it does come slightly undone and I always leave a lot of the laminate around the edge.

14. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 2, 2006

Sometimes it won't fall apart if you run it in the laminator really slow!

15. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Sep 2, 2006

If they do fall apart, they can be relaminated at a slower speed, or we have even used an iron set on low with a covering over the picture, just to get the glue to reset on the original laminating. I find laminating the pieces individually instead of on one sheet and then cutting them out will usually stop them from separating.

16. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 2, 2006

yes, cut them out, they shouldn't fall apart, unless the laminator wasn't hot enough when you ran them.