Laminating Problem

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsburf, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

My school doesn't have a laminating machine- bummer. I went to OfficeMax- $4.50 per linear foot! Another place is $0.88 a foot or sqft. Does anyone know how much Lakeshore chharges, pref. in AZ. Thanks!

3. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

I would recommend just buying a laminator. Wal-mart sells them for under $30, I think. I have one and I use it all the time. It's wonderful. The only problem is it only fits 8.5" x 11" and smaller. You could use it for that, though, and then, if you have bigger things, just get those laminated somewhere.

4. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I went to Lakeshore today and as long as you have their teacher card, laminating is only 29 cents per foot. I laminated 30 feet worth of items and only spent a little over 8 dollars.

I also got a smaller laminator for Christmas last year and it is handy for small classroom projects.

5. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

In Arizona there is the Teaching Stuff store. I'm not sure how much it is to laminate but I know they have a big machine to do so.

6. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

.29/foot if you do it... .39/foot if you have them do it for you

7. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

In the past Office Depot has offered free laminating to teachers for back to school. You should go into their office center to see if they plan on doing that again. I got tons of things done my first year for free and I did it all during preschool.

8. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 22, 2010

I think Office Max did free laminating last year in my area. I know they did the year before. In my school district, public school teachers can bring stuff to the district office and do it for free. Private can not.

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2010

What size are the items you are laminating?

I find laminating posters causes a glare so I skip it.

As for smaller items, I agree that a small laminator is cheap and easy. Depending on what it is you can also use packing tape for the same effect.

10. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

I would suggest that you NOT get anything laminated at Staples. They charge $2 per SQUARE foot, which turns out to be $4 per linear foot.

Found that one out the hard way. I heard "linear," the girl said "square," and there I was with $160 worth of plastic-covered paper that had only cost $20 to begin with.

11. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

I bought the Scotch Laminator a few weeks ago and I am beyond thrilled with it. They were running a pretty sweet deal on amazon.com when I bought it, but I know you can find it at Wal-Mart for something like $25. The lamination pouches can be found on Amazon for $9.99 for a box of 100. As a previous poster mentioned, you can only laminate up to an 8 1/2" x 11" paper, but again, get the big stuff laminated at Lakeshore. The at-home laminator has been my favorite purchase this summer!

12. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

OUCH! That's what I'm trying to avoid. I made some posters for my class, like Class Standards, Talking Meter, Assignment Poster, and What to Do When Finished. I made them because it was cheaper than buying. Now I have to pay to laminate.

I was going to print some Centers from FCRR.org and laminate them. I might have to buy my own from Wal Mart like PP said.

13. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

I also have the small 8x10 3M laminating machine. It's really handy for small things, and the laminating pages that came with it (and the ones that I bought) are sturdier than the laminating film on a large machine.

I did at least bargain the price down at Staples. I told them I couldn't pay that much to laminate $20 worth of plastic, when I could get it for 25 cents/linear foot at Mardel. (The only reason I didn't go to Mardel was that I needed it that night and Mardel was already closed.) I told them that they could either work with me to get to a price I was willing to pay, or they could keep my bulletin board materials. They couldn't really come up with a use for a giant polar bear, so we agreed on $60. It was still way higher than it should have been, but it was partially my fault for not understanding that they were charging by square feet (who does that?), and partially theirs for not giving me a quote or calling me to let me know that it was going to be so expensive. When you have the customer's cell number and things start looking squirrelly, call and let them know!

14. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

I laminated a TON off stuff at lakeshore learning--- it really was pretty cheap. I ended up laminating all my posters, rules, consequences, rewards....... I just brought everything in and laminated away--

I think Free is the only thing cheaper than .29/ft

15. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 22, 2010

Unless your Lakeshore is 3 hours away! :eek:

16. repete8

repete8 Companion

Jul 22, 2010

if you go to scotchbrand.com and sign up for their email, maybe they would email a coupon for the laminator.....

17. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

Learning is Fun store has a laminating coupon for 15% off in their mailer. You can google a store that may be near you.

18. erudite

erudite Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

Not sure if you have a Mardel in your state, in TX it's .25 cents per foot.

19. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

I went to Lakeshore yesterday, luckily its only 5 miles away. It was about $.33 a linear foot. Only cost me $4 and the gas to get there.

20. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

some districts have a "teacher resource center" that will do it for free as long as you work within the district. My last school didn't have a laminator or a die cut machine and this is how we got stuff accomplished.