Laminating costs and ?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by time2teach, Jun 4, 2008.

1. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 4, 2008

What do you pay for laminating? I was just at Office Depot and they wanted about 1.50 for one letter size sheet. And they won't do file folders. When you laminate small pieces do you do them on a sheet of posterboard or cover stock then cut them out after laminating? (like for file folder game pieces, bulletin board pictures etc) Thanks.

3. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

I'm not much help...we can laminate all we want for free at school.

I do know that at a university near here they have a place for education students and educators in the area to use. They charge about 15 cents a foot for laminating.

Also, last year at the end of summer, Office Max (I think that's who it was) ran a special promotion and offered free laminating for teachers. I don't know if they plan to do that again this year or not.

4. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 4, 2008

No Office Max here, but there is a Lakeshore Learning teacher store, that I know was cheaper. $1.50 seems really really expensive....or is that normal??

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

Go to your local teacher supply store and they usually have cheaper laminating services.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

Try using clear contact paper if at all possible.

7. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 4, 2008

I'll use clear contact paper on the small stuff I think, but not the larger stuff...too much trouble. Last time I taught that was our only option, and larger items just don't work as well with contact paper.

I think the teacher supply store is going to be my best bet. I know they were reasonable.

8. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

Office Max is the one that does free mainating for teachers :) Use it everydya if you can

9. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jun 4, 2008

I've laminated my own small pieces with the laminating paper they have at Wal-Mart. You can find it on the aisle that has envelopes, bubble wrap, etc.

10. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

Do you have a Service Center for your district? In Texas we have Education Service Centers that provide services to each district. In those, we usually have a "teacher workroom" that has everything we might need such as laminating. We pay so much per foot (very reasonable).

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2008

If the pieces are going to be used a lot, handled by students, I wouldn't cut them out of tagboard after they have been laminated. The film doesn't stick that well and curls up along the edge, then gets pulled off.

Instead, you'll have to cut each piece, laminate each piece, and then recut leaving a tiny edge where the two pieces of film meet. It's a pain in the neck.

An alternative is to use packing clear tape on small pieces. You can make a nice clean cut along the edges since the tape sticks to the paper.

I think I've seen very wide rolls of the tape in the Media Center which is used for repairing books. I wonder if it's inexpensive enough.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2008

Bookguard 955 Clear Vinyl 5mil Repair Tape 10" X 30' (10 yds) ROL $30.14 at Demco.com

They have other widths as well.

Seems worth it.

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2008

I often use clear, strong packing tape for small pieces.
    Agree about cutting before you laminate -- it will not last well if you cut through the laminated paper, not worth it.
    And contact paper is way too much of a pain, doesn't look nearly as good, and marker doesn't wipe off as well.

This won't help you in Virginia, but for lurkers from NY: There is a chain of stores called "Teacher's Edition" (I think there are some others as well but that's the most local for me, I teach in Brooklyn) that charges $.60 per foot by length, and the width is wide enough for a few pages. I do it there and put it on my classroom budget.

Those who use OfficeMax -- can you please tell us more about their policy? Is laminating free for teachers anytime? Do you have to prove that you're a teacher -- how? Do all the stores do this?

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 5, 2008

Call the teacher supply store near you. I know the Mardel Christian and Education (Teacher) store by me offers it for 25 cents a foot. Their machine is wide and I got a lot laminated for 75 cents. It is self serve. The Lakeshore Learning store has one too.

I would probably mount something on a bigger piece of paper if it was very tiny and you were trying to make it larger. I mount some things, like my word wall words on colored paper so they look nice.

For bulletin board sets I always separate before laminating.

Can you use the laminating machine at your school?

15. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2008

My school only has a little laminating machine (1 sheet size, the kind that uses pockets)

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 5, 2008

Does it work like this one?

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|2534374302091581~~f|/Assortments/Lakeshore/ShopByCategory/teacherresources/classroomequipment.jsp

17. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jun 5, 2008

One of our kindergarten teachers received a laminator through Donors Choose. We can get anything laminated that we need. Our librarian does it, and we keep it in the elementary library.

18. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for all the hints and tips. I never thought of packing tape for small items. Back in the stone age when I last taught (13 years ago??) we only used contact paper at our school. All these tips are great.

Right now I'm a sub at a Christian school, but hoping for an opening this fall. So I don't have access to any school equipment yet.

19. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2008

The office max promotion was offered during their teacher appreciation week last summer, it was in late August if I remember correctly. From what I know they plan on doing it again.

The laminating at office max is worth it, it is the really heavy stuff so you can cut close to the edge with no fears the stuff will peel off or curl up on the edges.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 5, 2008

The schools in which I student taught and subbed laminated everything free (huge laminater in the library, and the librarian did everything but cut the laminated stuff out!). The film is nice and heavy, and I got very few bubbles! I think that full-time teachers have access to that during the summer as well, but I don't (yet).

Our local colleges each have a student resource room for ed majors, and they laminate for something like $0.10/foot (for their students/alums). The one I used didn't work properly, though, so they stopped doing it until they have the funds to get it fixed.

We have two different teacher supply stores (Paula's Educational Supplies and The Learning Depot). I think they charge a quarter per foot. I know that the laminating film is heavy duty and works GREAT! Paper Shack may do it, but I've never asked them. What about Hobby Lobby or Michael's? Has anyone tried there?

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 5, 2008

I'm not much help either since we can laminate what we want at school.

I think the local education stores charge anywhere from $.30-$.50 per foot.

22. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 6, 2008

So I checked Staples and they wanted $2.00 a foot!! Forget that. I called Lakeshore Learning and they are WAY cheaper. Like less than 50 cents a foot and they have a wider machine. I think they said 29 cents a foot, but I am really tired today, so they may have said 49 cents. Either way, much more reasonable. I can live with that. :)