Laminate and then cut, or cut and then laminate?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yellowdaisies, Aug 10, 2013.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 10, 2013

This is such a silly thread, but I really need to ask this!

I recently got a personal laminator. I have been cutting all my cardstock things out and then laminating them and then cutting them out again. But I've seen SO many pictures on instagram, blogs, etc, of teachers laminating whole pages and then cutting them out afterwards. Does that actually work? I thought it would peel! It would save SO much time...

Also, with the personal laminators (or any lamination), how much do you leave around the edge, if any? I had a lot of things peel last year (although that was with a regular laminator and not a personal one), so I'm trying to leave a seal to avoid that...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

It peels if you cut later.:unsure:

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 10, 2013

I've always laminated whole sheets and then cut out individual things. I've never had anything peel and I've been doing this for 3 years. That's how my parents do theirs also and they literally have things that they have kept for 20 years that still look good. Perhaps it depends on the quality of the machine or something.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2013

It'll peel if the machine wasn't quite hot enough or if you live in a humid place. I always cut, then laminate, the cut again.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

I laminate whole sheet then cut. I almost always leave a little bit around the edges of the small pieces.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2013

I always laminate and then cut using my personal laminator. It doesn't peel for me the way the large roll laminators do.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

I cut then laminate. It's what our librarian suggests. She does our laminating for us.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2013

With the big roll laminators, it would depend on if it was something the kids would use or something that would simply be taped to a wall. If the kids use it, cut, laminate, cut. If it was display, laminate, cut.
    I haven't had my personal laminator long, so I haven't experimented with laminating then cutting yet.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 10, 2013

I laminate and then cut and have no problems. You do have to wait until it is very hot and slow it down (for the roll laminators). I also wait and let it hear up in the middle if I am laminating a lot of stuff at once.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2013

I cut then laminate at school when I use the big laminator. I have recently bought a personal laminator and I think I may still cut first in order to not waste any of my laminating film.

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 11, 2013

I always cut and then laminate. It takes more time, but it seals better.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 11, 2013

Thanks for the input! :D I think I will continue to cut and then laminate. I don't want to have to keep remaking this stuff!