Lamar University Online

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by msthang444, Feb 11, 2015.

1. msthang444

msthang444 New Member

Feb 11, 2015

Hi!
    I just enrolled at Lamar University online to finish my Certificate Program in Counseling and Development.

Anyone have any experience with this or know anyone who does?

3. HockeyFan13

HockeyFan13 Rookie

Feb 11, 2015

Two of my co-workers completed the counseling program through Lamar and one has actually moved on to a counseling job at another school in my district. I am currently in the Lamar program for a Master's in Teacher Leadership. Overall I've been pleased with the classes -- definitely have learned things that I can use in my classroom.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 11, 2015

I do NOT recommend. I enrolled in the Teacher Leadership program after hearing about Lamar on here.
    Pros:
    -Cheaper than the schools in my area
    -No field experience required
    -5 week classes/very easy coursework (I spent about 2-3 hours on my coursework each week)

Cons:
    -It was "sold" as an 18 month program. I started early fall of 2013, so I expected to be done by this past December. I enrolled in the sped concentration track because my district won't pay the salary bump unless you do something directly related to your current position. A few classes in, I decided to check out the course listing online to see what I'd finished/what I needed to take. I realized that a class I had just finished wasn't on the sped concentration list (you can't enroll yourself- they register you for classes). I contacted them to ask about it and they claimed they had no record of me wanting to be in the sped concentration track. So I paid almost 1,000 dollars and took a course I didn't need. I KNOW I specifically enrolled in the sped track, b/c like I said, my district won't pay me for it otherwise. Anyway, I got over it and decided perhaps there was some way I'd messed up my paperwork or something. I thought I'd graduate by the end of this school year. This December, I got an e-mail with a "friendly heads up" that my two last courses are not being offered until next Fall, and I will not graduate until NEXT December. Let me point out that even if I had been enrolled in the proper sped course to begin with and not needed the extra class, that only accounts for one class, not two. So even if everything had gone according to plan, my last class would not have been offered until next December and I'd still be waiting. So I have to sit out this semester and summer semester because my courses are not offered, and graduate a full year after what was advertised (if they don't screw anything else up). This is a huge deal because under our current contract will get a $7,000 raise when my masters is finished. Almost every other local district has gone to pay for performance and no longer gives big raises for master's, so I'm very afraid mine will do the same. Since I have to wait until next year, that's a whole new contract, which may not include the same salary. Not to mention that's a lot of money that I planned to have a lot earlier- I thought I could travel this summer instead of doing summer school, but now I'm not making the salary I expected. I am pretty furious about the entire thing.

-I thought when I enrolled that it wouldn't bother me that it's a very non-prestigious school, since I figured no one really cares where you get your master's from in teaching anyway. I've found that it bothers me a lot more than I originally thought it would. I do get kind of embarrassed when I tell people where I'm going. Even without all of the BS, I now wish I could say I got my masters from a good school- since I'm going to be answering this question for the rest of my life!

5. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Feb 11, 2015

I am currently enrolled in the Teacher Leadership program at Lamar. I know several people who graduated with their master's from a Lamar program; some in counseling, teacher leadership, and administration. All of them were pleased with their experience and some have changed positions with their new degrees. I liked that Lamar is a state university and the professors in this program are professors in regular classes there too. I must say I spend a lot more than three hours on my school work each week... More like 15 to 20. Maybe I just do things the hard way. There is a lot of reading, but the topics I learn about do relate to my job as a classroom teacher.