Lamar University Online master's program?????????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Sep 27, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

Anyone in Texas did this?? I already have a masters, but would like to get another one. This online program is through a regular university and taught by regular faculty members. It is $4950 to get masters in 18 months. I am interested in this.

Anyone have experience with this program or Lamar U???
    thanks
    jeannie

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

That's pretty cheap for a masters! What program are you looking into?

I have not gone to Lamar U, but I did a masters program that was mostly online-I have taken 3 of my classes in person. I would either call or email one of the professors. I did that before I picked a college for my masters and they were really helpful.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

I have a friend that just finished her portfolio and she's loved it. I have a coworker who is currently going through it and will finish next year. She likes it so far.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

thanks - I know alot of teachers that are going through it. I just wonder how employer view degrees from online.

are their degrees credible??? I mean I know the university is but what do employers think about someone who gets an online degree from there? Is it considered just as rigiorous? I know the university says it is. I was just wondering what employers think...

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

I have a M.Ed in Reading and would like to pursue a M.Ed in Admin.

Actually I'd love to get a doctorate and do research and eventually work at the unversity level some day. My problem is the closest unversity is the one I received by bachelor and masters from. So, I would need to go to a different university for a doctorate - and the others are too far away.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

Well for one of my friends, the district paid for some of the cost so I assume they would have no problem viewing it as credible. The other one is already an employee with the district, but I'm sure she wouldn't have chosen this university if the district didn't find it credible.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

i think that must be right. my district will pay too and they host an information session. I guess it just makes me nervous. That is a great point, stg. thanks

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

I don't think your employer would know it was online unless it was an online only school. As far as I know, I don't think they mark degrees "online." I know my program can be completed completely online (except for an internship), but it would not say anything different than someone who took all their classes in person.

A lot of people complete degrees online now, so I don't know that it would be looked on as bad. I have a friend who just completed her masters in administration completely online. She researched it a lot before she decided to go to school there. As long as it's a reputable school I think you will be fine!

10. mariah

mariah Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

I just finished my second class in the program and am on to the third next week. Taking a 5 week class that started the same week as school started was rough, but I survived.

11. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Sep 29, 2009

I just completed an online degree program that ended up costing $15,000+ so the one you're looking at is a steal! When I got my degree and transcript, it said nothing about being online, so the employer would never know the difference. Although, the university I took mine from was on the opposite coast, so it would be easy for employers to figure that out when looking at my work history. I just tell employers that I chose an online program specifically so that I could devote myself to both my school and my work, which is true! No one has had any problems with it. In fact, my previous principal reviewed my portfolio and was very impressed! Go for it. :)

12. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Sep 29, 2009

I am going to be starting this program next fall - yes the degree is credible as it is an actual sticks and bricks University. Not that online ones aren't, but that is prob what you are questioning. The degree does not say "Online Master's", it is just a regular MS that you happened to do online.

Great price too!