Lakeshore Alphabet Bags

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by christine89, Dec 10, 2011.

1. christine89

christine89 Companion

Dec 10, 2011

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 10, 2011

For me, the hunt for objects would be an adventure. I would hit all the second hand stores for objects.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2011

I looked at those bags, as well, but felt although they were cute, I didn't think the kids could do enough with them to make it worth it. They also have tubs with alphabet objects at least you could use for sorting, games, etc.

What I have done is ask parents to bring in all those loose little fast food toys and misc. items and "stuff" and put in ziplock bags for each letter so I can use them for a variety of activities. It worked out great and didn't cost anything. You can put them in dyed rice or other sensory materials and put in freezer bags or the canvas pencil holders that have the plastic window pockets.

5. comaba

comaba Cohort

Dec 10, 2011

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 10, 2011

scmom, how did you know that is exactly what I did?

For a while those items all resided in the gerber boxes that they sell the baby food in now. Then this last year they moved out of the boxes and into the nut and bolt storage box from a Dad's garage. Works great! Used stickers to denote the letter for the tray and they have little dividers so those few letter I needed could share without confusion.

We used parents cast offs and tiny things my own kids lost....it was totally free and and wonderful challenge for home.

We play name the item for the letter of the week, we play a self work game where they pull out the items and try to name them so that they all start with the letter. This one is like a worksheet but way more fun. They call that game "tiny treasures". We play a memory game with the items too...they call it the "trinket game".

Then we pulled some out, and some letter beads and made some I spy bottles during the run they had in the blogoshpere....but that was sort of a one hit wonder here. We like to touch things, we never are very successful with locked up items.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2011

I think we are sisters sometimes, WaProvider and I certainly wish we worked together.

The sensory bottles work better with the younger ones. My 4/5s are also so-so with them. A more sensory version they like lately is if I put the items in the rice/bean/whatever tub so they can fish it out. I bought some cheap alphabet puzzles at the dollar store and they like to find the pieces to complete the puzzleright now or put in the little items we talked about and put them on a mat or in bags for each starting sound.

The one thing they really like right now that is more visual than touchable are the window type blocks. I bought a set that is refillable so that I could display things too little for the toddler class. I recently put holiday stuff in them. I think they like the way the light shines through them because they often carry them near the sun shining through a window. I have a set that is colored acrylic too so they combine the two and make some really pretty creations.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2011

Most Montessori catalogs will sell a collection of objects for around $30-$40. You could put them in little jars filled with rice and have the children try to find them.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 11, 2011

Wow, tracykaliski I had no idea! $30 is so much less expensive than what lakeshore wants! Sheesh!

I love following your answers on the other forums. I hope to see you here more, I love your input!

10. christine89

christine89 Companion

Dec 11, 2011

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 11, 2011

I actually have an embroidery pattern to make these. I bought the clear plastic to try over Christmas break.

12. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Dec 11, 2011

We have them at our school. They aren't worth the high price.

Like others have said, you could make them for a lot cheaper.

13. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2011

Thank you!