Laid Off Teacher Subbing

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by elateacher4life, Feb 13, 2011.

1. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Feb 13, 2011

I am a CA teacher who was recently laid off; therefore,I am able to draw unemployment. However, a district just called and asked if I could do a seven week assignment in an elementary classroom. I am trained as a secondary teacher. How will this affect my unemployment? Should I take the job? What are the pros and cons?

I am thinking of taking the job because it would give me an opportunity to network and it could possibly segue into something more. However,I am concerned about the costs associated with taking a long-term position e.g. childcare and being without a job afterwards or an unemployment check.

Please offer advice.

3. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 13, 2011

I believe you can put some type of hold on the unemployment while you are temporarily employed. I know someone who had a few short term temp jobs just after she started unemployment, and she was able to do that. Contact the unemployment office to find out the rules. You may even be able to find information online through the EDD website.

I'd say the major consideration would be money. Can you afford it? If so, do the temporary assignment. It certainly won't hurt. On the other hand, if the job pays less than you would draw from an unemployment check, and you can't make ends meet on the sub pay, you may want to decline the job.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2011

Can you check into it? I really have no idea. But, how great that you were offered that position (however short it might be). That at least keeps you connected with the schools.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 14, 2011

That's interesting. Never knew that was a consideration (putting a hold on your status). I was going to say that essentially turning down an opportunity for work could be problematic for one's unemployment status.

But on a bit of a personal level, I think it would be a bit hard to say "No" to a reasonable opportunity for the sake of claiming unemployment. Hard in terms of not thinking you should have taken it. I tend to think that way in terms of sub jobs. Sometimes, a district will call for a HS sub job. As an elementary school teacher, I hesitate and often turn it down, hoping that a job more up my alley will come for the day--and it never comes. So I sorta kick myself for not doing the HS job all day.

If it's a job that seems worth your while, I'd say take it.

6. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Feb 15, 2011

I think that if you do some work and get paid for it while you're getting UI (unemployment insurance) checks from EDD, EDD will reduce the amount of money you get on your next UI check, as an offset. I had been doing part time work while getting UI, and that is what would happen.

I think it would be better to go take the job, it is better for you, psychologically and professionally, and it could lead to something else in the future. The EDD consideration should be an secondary factor. You can reapply for UI if your gig ends later on.