Laid off and not sure where to go from here

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Msdrea, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Msdrea

Msdrea New Member

Jul 21, 2015

So I have been teaching for 11 years. This last year I took a temporary contract position with a new school district in an effort to get closer to my family. My new principal did not like me from the beginning of the year. She wrote me up for using a worksheet that the rest of my grade level team were using and gave to me. At every observation she had nothing positive to say. She gave me a horrible review. Come to find out she did similar things to 2 others at my site. Turns out she already had people she wanted to hire from her previous school. Myself and another new to the district teacher got our notice in February and our negative reviews shortly after, that let no room for a possibility of returning in the fall. Another veteran teacher she didn't like got an involuntary transfer to a school and grade level she didn't want.
    I was so devastated when this first happened. I have had nothing but positive reviews from all my administrators. In fact my most recent review from my previous administrator was perfect. I got exceeds expectations in every area. I really don't know what to believe from what this principal said. Is anything she said about me or my classroom accurate.
    So as a result of losing my job I had to move my family ( husband and 5yo daughter) with my parents. I have applied for jobs in this area with no luck. I recently signed up to be a sub in two districts in the area and have applications in 2 more. I honestly think this might be the best way to get my foot in the door. I figure this way the administrators will like me before they hire me and will know something about my teaching. I am less likely to have a repeat of the previous year's experience if administrators know me. I'm not sure if I should even continue to look for full time teaching in my own classroom or just sub in the hopes of finding where I really want to be in a full time capacity. Having everything about my teaching scrutinized so critically really has my confidence shot. Any thoughts?

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 21, 2015

Good luck...not having your contract renewed is not the kiss of death. I lost my first job because I called department of human resources on a child abuse case. The family was friends with my principal and she told me not to report it. In my state I am mandated to report it. My father, an elementary principal, told me to report it or risk losing my license. So when the DHS worker showed up to question my student, the principal looked me in the eye and said, "You know you just lost your chance to get renewed." I was not a member of a union and I was on temporary contract. The next school year I went to an interview for a position that was in anther school but wasn't in the classroom. The assistant supt. interviewed me. In the interview it came out that my former principal was the supt.'s ex husband's sister. I immediately started gathering my things thinking the interview was over. The supt. just laughed and offered me a job. She said anyone that worked with that lady deserved a break. Don't give up!!!!! You can find a job.

4. Msdrea

Msdrea New Member

Jul 22, 2015

Thank you for the reply! I'm going to keep trying.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2015

No unemployment?

6. Msdrea

Msdrea New Member

Jul 22, 2015

I am recieving unemployment until i begin subbing in mid August