Ladies-What do you bring into school? Your school bag & purse? Or just combine them?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by perplexed, Aug 13, 2012.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 13, 2012

I like summer time because I only have to worry about having my purse! Now that I started my orientation meetings, I now have my purse and school bag. It's a pain to carry both around, but it's also annoying to put all my purse things in my school bag because if I go into a store after school, then I need to switch things again and sometimes . Today, I left my purse in the car, but then I didn't have something that I would have liked for the meeting. What do you do? Combine them? Or bring in two bags?

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

Before I had my son, I carried both my purse and my school bag. However now that I generally have a diaper bag with me everywhere but at work, I only carry my school bag with my wallet in it. Just about anything else I need is kept in my drawer at school. :)

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 13, 2012

I know people who do both. I carry a school bag and a purse. If I had to swap between a purse & something else, I think my brain would explode. :)

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 13, 2012

I usually just put everything into one big Vera bag :)

ETA: But I don't really wear makeup or anything so the only thing I ever carry in my purse is a cellphone and wallet.

I also carry a lunch tote. But that usually fits into my big bag.

6. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

I carry both. It's just easier, otherwise I would forget to switch my stuff back and forth.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

I carry both, it doesn't bother me really. Sometimes when I take my kids somewhere by myself I toss my walet in the diaper bag (backpack) so I can hold both of their hands easily, but I never do that at school. Sometimes I can fit my purse in my teacher bag and that works out pretty well, but some purses are bigger than others.

8. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

Exactly the reason why I carry both.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

I have a huge purse that I just use for school. (actually I have 2 of the same size, different color). It's large enough to fit a big lunch box, water bottle, some personal essentials, school stuff (pencil pouch, timer, folder with extra things, etc). I leave my regular purse in my car under my seat.

When I had my own classroom I used an even larger bag, it was big enough to transport student work, even a textbook, etc in it. But these bags are for school, so I don't have to swap things out. Even the little make up, hair brush, etc. stays in there.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

This is what I headed out the door with this morning.
    • Tote Bag--It's on the small side, but plenty big enough for my needs.
    • Purse--Carry all my regular stuff to school every day. Keep my purse in my desk drawer.
    • Lunch Box--No fridge or microwaves, and I don't take kids to lunch. I take my lunch.
    • Exercise Bag--I sometimes walk after school, and I bring a change of clothes and my iPod.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

I think it's a carryover from my diaper bag days; I never go anywhere without my purse.

I have a Vera bag for my books and papers, and a Vera purse. (The doctor nixed leather a few years ago because of its weight, so my options are a bit limited.)

I usually have a lunch bag as well-- my kids' elementary sold tie die lunch sacks a few years ago as a fundraiser.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

I just take my school bag and put my cell phone/wallet in it for school. The only time it's a pain is if I stop somewhere on the way home and have to carry my wallet into the store, but I don't do that very often.

13. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 13, 2012

I use a 31 tote on days that I have school things to carry, my purse, and my lunch bag. Some days I use a rolling crate if I have a lot, or I've even carried 2 totes to take everything home and back.

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2012

I have a small wristlet-type thing that holds my credit cards, money, license, etc. It has a strap that I keep my keys hooked on. I typically bring only that and my teacher bag.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

I throw my wallet and cell phone into my school tote.

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 13, 2012

Usually just a purse. Not that I have multiple school sites I got one of those big, rolling cart things. I'll put my laptop, purse, lunch bag and files in the crate.

17. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Aug 13, 2012

This is a good thread! I'll be commuting 45 minutes by train this year which means a longer day than I'm used to. I'll be taking my purse and tote bag (actually a diaper bag from vera bradley). I'll carry my binder, lunch box, ereader and gym clothes in the tote bag (along with any supplies needed for the day) and my purse will have the other stuff like keys, wallet, hand sanitizer, etc.

I'd like to see if I can consolidate but not sure if my bag is big enough!

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2012

I use a big Vera tote that holds my school stuff, workout clothes, and lunch box. I keep a regular wallet in my purse with a complete set of store credit cards etc, but I have a small wristlet with just my license and a debit card and essentials that I throw into the tote.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 13, 2012

Handbag and school bag.

20. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

I use a leather bag/purse during the school year. It's cute enough to just use as a purse, but just big enough to carry my school laptop and a few folders. If I need to I switch to a normal purse on the weekends by taking my wallet out. (I also have a messenger bag at school, for days I need to bring more things home.)

21. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Aug 13, 2012

Both teacher bag and purse. Although one of my teacher bags is large enough that I sometimes throw my purse into it!

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

For school on a daily basis, I usually leave my purse in my car. We have a mouse problem and I don't want to bring a 'friend' home.

For meetings or what-not, I carry both if I need a lot of stuff. If not, I have several purses that will hold my grade book and a few other things.

23. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012

I have a big nylon tote bag that I use for my school bag. The only thing from my purse I'd want/need in my school bag is my wallet. It mostly stays in my school bag during the school week and then I switch it to my purse on the weekends or if I'm going out. It's a large wallet so if I'm running into the store after work or something I'll just carry my wallet.

24. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 13, 2012

I usually cary a purse and a bag.

With the back and forth on the train these last couple weeks I have been taking my purse and a rolling cart with everything else in it (my lunch bag, my teacher binder & 64oz water-bottle.)

But this rolling cart thing is not working for me. I am switching to a backpack and putting my purse in the backpack with my binder & water-bottle. That way I only have to carry my lunch bag.

25. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2012

I take my purse and a rolling cart with all my school stuff.

26. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

I take my big vera bradley bag as my purse and put school stuff in it.

27. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012

I carry my purse and my bookbag. My purses are always wristlets, so they aren't a burden and I can throw them in my bookbag if I have other things to carry.

28. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 15, 2012

:) I have had MANY days like this. I feel like some kind of bag lady as I head out the door carrying so many bags! My gym bag stays in the trunk of my car until after school, but everything else comes into the school with me.

29. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

During my first year teaching, I made myself a huge tote bag out of pre-quilted fabric - denim on one side, and a plaid on the other. It is big enough to put my TE books in, my purse, my lunchbox, and usually a stack or two of papers to grade. Of course it gets heavy, but carrying one heavy bag is easier for me than carrying multiple smaller bags. I think my bag is rather similar to a Vera Bradley bag, but I didn't like any of the fabrics.

30. melnm

melnm Companion

Aug 15, 2012

I carry my school bag, purse and water bottle. I'll probably be adding a lunch box a couple of days this year too. I need a huge bag so I can just throw it all in one!

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 15, 2012

Like I said in the other thread about bag-carrying, I have to carry my purse, school bag, & lug a roller laptop case daily to/from my car 2x/day because I'm never at the same school the next day. I alternate between two. I really need to bring my much smaller purse that I can easily squeeze into my school bag because I'm sick & tired of being weighed down with 3 good-sized items! :mad:

Most of you probably don't have to lug a laptop daily like I do. I'm not even bringing a lunch bag ever, just a bottle of water. I don't eat lunch at work...just not hungry at that time.

32. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 16, 2012

I have a huge Vera tote (it's the Carried Away bag...it's ginormous), so I can fit all of the papers/folders I brought home from the night before, my entire purse and my lunchbox in there. It makes life very easy lol.

33. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

I forgot about my gym bag! I carry my gym bag 4 days a week, but that stays in my car most of the time. I go get it after school to change.

34. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 16, 2012

I have a clutch for my purse so it fits into my teacher tote bag no problem. :)

(I'm actually on the hunt for a new teacher bag- I love Vera Bradley but I'm really not in the mood to drop $80 on the company's stuff)

35. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 29, 2012

Bumble B, i just purchased that bag...it can literally fit everything!! and I carry my laptop daily to and from.

BioAngel, i highly recommend this bag if you have a lot to carry. I got it on sale for around 60. One bag fits all!

36. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 29, 2012

Add cell phone, lunch tote, and my Tervis cup to this and that's what I do. I have a knock off Coach bag from a purse party a couple years ago. I put everything in that and call it a day. Except the lunch tote. That doesn't fit.

37. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 29, 2012

:yeahthat:

38. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 29, 2012

I just got my Vera tote delivered the other day. It's my first Vera bag and I love it!!

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 30, 2012

I guess I just don't have that much "stuff". I have a school bag and the only personal items I bring are in a small makeup bag (makeup, cell phone goes in the zipper part). I don't need my wallet or anything else in school. I think it's better for me not to bring my wallet so that I won't be tempted to buy anything in the school coffee shop or vending machines. I leave it locked in my car. My campus is private and pretty safe so I don't worry about leaving anything in the car.

40. goth_teach

goth_teach Rookie

Aug 31, 2012

I carry a backpack and a spill-proof travel mug on a daily basis, as I don't have a desk to stash things in and I take 3 buses each way to work. I have one pocket of my backpack dedicated to serving as my purse (holds wallet, cell phone, keys, ipod, bus pass, etc.) It has two large sections - one is for my grade book, things to be graded, my "take home" binder; the other is for a sweater, dry socks (I've had to run in the rain/ snow to catch my bus transfer,) umbrella, survival "bag" (pencil case with excedrin, band-aids, cereal bars, hand sanitizer, hair ties/ rubber bands, comb, tide pen, extra phone battery, lip balm, allergy meds, nail clippers/ file, and tums.)

My lunch bag only goes a couple of days a week, as I can take my lunch for a few days and stash it in the fridge. As long as I leave a sticky note with my name on it, it doesn't disappear.

41. Oct 22, 2015

I carry a purse A juicy daydremer and a coach tote for my classroom files an papers