Ladies: Have you ever had a guy show up with flowers on your first date?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 6, 2012

What ever happened to that tradition? I completely forgot it even existed until yesterday.

Have any of you ladies ever received flowers on a first date? And for the men, have any of you ever brought flowers for a first date? I know age is sensitive, but if you feel comfortable saying what decade that was (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s) that'd be cool.

I've been asking my female family and friends if a first date has ever shown up with flowers for them, and they all said no, that they've had flowers sent to them at work/home, but it's always after a few dates and/or the relationship has been established.

I personally haven't had a guy ever bring flowers for a first date and I'm not sure how I would feel if one did.

The reason I asked is because I'm going out on a first date with an awesome Southern gentleman who seems charmingly old fashioned, and I started wondering how would I react if he were to bring me flowers. I doubt that'll happen, but I thought just incase, I'll copy some songs from my iPod onto a c.d. and if he has flowers, I'll pull the c.d. out of my purse and be like, "Yay! I have something for you too." :lol:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

I didn't get flowers on the first date, but I have received several throughout the years at work for anniversaries, birthdays, Valentine's Days....

4. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 6, 2012

In my 20s, never received flowers on a first date. Honestly, I'm glad it's died out. I love receiving flowers, but it would make me uncomfortable to accept a gift from someone I don't even know yet. Maybe the second date, after they've decided they like me! :lol: I guess if you already know the person well, it would make more sense. Still, I don't love the idea. My boyfriend did bring flowers for my mom the first time he met her. I thought that was very sweet.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 6, 2012

My husband brought me flowers on our first date.

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 6, 2012

I've been with my SO since high school, I've never been on a first date. LOL

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2012

My ex-husband showed up with flowers on our first date. That was in 1999. He also asked if he could put his arm around me at the movies on our third date, too. He's always been the traditional, romantic one.

He brought me the same kind of flowers--pink roses--the other day. Guess there are no hard feelings over the divorce! :cool:

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2012

I have brought flowers or a flower on a number of first dates in the 70s 80s 90s and 00s

Never Paper roses

But then again I have been divorced 3 times

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2012

Doesn't sound like hard feelings to me in fact it seems kind of romantic :love:
    And I am talking as a man, maybe you need to ask his intentions?

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2012

To me I do not think a gift like a CD of songs given "Back" to him is wise. Shades of Our Song. The flowers are an act of chivalry as if "it is the thing to do" but a gift like that from you will look like you are looking for an intimate relation right off (not sexual intimacy) try something you might have baked .

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2012

I had a guy bring me a dozen red roses on a first date. (2000s) It was awful. He was the first guy I had ever met online and we met up halfway at a restaurant. I was already feeling awkward about meeting someone from online for the first time. Plus meeting in a restaurant meant that I had to leave the roses at the table the whole time - there is nothing you can do with them. I felt like it drew a lot of attention to us. Of course, I didn't hit it off with the guy AT ALL so maybe if I had otherwise liked him, I would have appreciated the flowers.

I guess for the guys, if you are going to bring flowers, think about what she is going to do with them all night. If you are meeting at her house, it's not problem, but if you are meeting out somewhere, the flowers could just end up being a pain. And if you are going to do it, a dozen red roses is too much.

My fiance knew my dislike for flowers on the first date and brought me jelly bellies instead. That was a good choice!

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 7, 2012

I wouldn't do the CD idea.

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 7, 2012

Hmm, that's a good point. I'm sincerely hoping that he doesn't bring flowers then because I really wouldn't know how to react unless I had something to give him too. Well, we're pretty young, not yet 30, so it's probably not even an issue. I think the baked goods and a C.D. might be a bit much because this is our first time meeting and even though he seems nice, he is still a stranger and if indeed he is a crazed stalker, bringing him a gift would be fuel to the fire.

AW! I think jellie bellies is an adorable idea and it shows that he actually took the time to get to know you and what you like. For instance, I would be more excited for someone to bring me a ziplock bag of all pink starbursts (I seriously buy two packs whenever I go to the store, eat all the pink ones and give the other colors away to friends and my students) than flowers. :thumb: to your fiance

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 7, 2012

When I was in college this guy sent me roses to ASK me out. We were just friends (went to different schools) and on Valentine's day I got a "suprise" delivery waiting for me in the office. I thought it was nice but way over the top for someone I didn't even agree to go out with yet! I did end up dating him for a few months but he never brought me flowers again.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2012

I think Peter may have on our first date in 1987. He brings me flowers every now and then-- for birthdays, anniversaries, Valentines day, and when he knows I've had a rough time... I got lots of flowers a few years ago.

He knows the name of the florist, and I think she knows his.

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 7, 2012

Em - if he brings flowers you react by saying "thank you", put them in a vase and head out for whatever the plans for the evening are.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 7, 2012

I think you are perhaps reading a little too much into it. I have had guys, on the first date or even beforehand, want to take me out to buy items such as cowboy boots. I thought that was a bit much but I replied graciously and thanked them for the offer and told them all I wanted was to go out and have a good time and see where that leads first. Flowers are generic and traditional enough. I would treat it simply as a gesture by a guy who thinks enough of you that he wants to start off with a good impression. Whether the date turns out or not does not cheapen the act. It's a gentlemanly and romantic gesture. I wouldn't expect it but I would have a smile on my face, a big fat thank you, spend a few minutes admiring it (since he took the time to pick it out) and go about the rest of my date. I don't even think it matters if I have a place to put it or not.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 7, 2012

I agree!

19. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 7, 2012

My husband brought flowers for our first date. It was a blind date in 1999. I dried them and saved them for a long time because I'm sentimental like that.

20. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012

Agree! I used to get flowers, notes, gifts quite often in the beginning (first 3ish years). We have been together 7 years now, so I don't see sweet gestures as much. I def miss it! But it's now "our money," and I don't want to know about a gift!!

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2012

I have only had 3 first dates in my life all in the 90s (including the HS senior prom, but we won't count that since they're supposed to bring a corsage). Unfortunately, no flowers on those 1st dates, but I'm sure I get them a LOT more then certain others from my current boyfriend who's given me flowers for NO special occasion so many times that I've lost count.

But regarding the 1st date, I think more men should. It's a nice gesture. Maybe they want to see how it goes first before they spend too much money...(I'm rying to think how a guy may be thinking, not a lady.)

22. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2012

My first date brought a few beautiful cupcakes.
    Then my dog ate one by accident and I was embarrassed.
    On the second date, he only brought doggy treats. HAHAHAHA

23. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 7, 2012

He's a keeper in my book. :lol:

24. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2012

I wouldn't do the CD. If he brings flowers, just tell him thank you. It's a nice gesture and I don't think you should feel awkward not having anything for him. I doubt he would expect anything back.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2012

Em...don't over think this. He might bring flowers, he might not...let the date naturally unfold. Popping a cd out of your purse is a bit contrived, IMO. Just say 'thank you' and go on the ate. Relax. Enjoy yourself.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2012

Certain others? What does this even mean?

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 7, 2012

I may be in the minority when I say I hate getting flowers. "Here is a symbol of my affection and devotion; it will be dead in a week."

28. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 7, 2012

I used to feel the same way, but now I kind of just see it as a gesture. Plus, I love having fresh flowers around. My BF used to buy me pretty little flowering plants and stuff instead, but I'd end up killing them almost instantly anyway. :whistle:

29. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 7, 2012

I got flowers on a first date once. I thought it was sweet and I appreciated it.

But, the date turned into a dud and at the end when I turned away from his kiss I felt like he got mad at me. He asked about seeing me again and I was honest in letting him know that I wasn't feeling it. He left in a huff. I remember wondering if he thought, "Geez, I GAVE you flowers!"

30. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2012

He does have Aspergers, so he is more than a bit socially awkward. He meant well. We did have an amicable divorce.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

My current husband sent me flowers for my 19th (?) birthday when we hadn't even started dating yet.

32. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 7, 2012

I think the cd thing would be awkward...if you want to give him a cd, just give it to him. If he gives you flowers, just accept them...it seems weird to say, "well I had this cd on hand in case you happened to give me something..."

I had a guy in HS bring me flowers, and then my mother promptly told him that she was throwing them out b/c they were poisonous for the cat. She wasn't a big fan, lol.

33. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

When I was in college I had a summertime romance which I thought was a true romance with a girl from my church I was going to Oswego State 38 mi north of Syracuse NY and she went to Cazenovia College (at that time it was an all girls school) 22 miles southeast of Syracuse, NY we had talked about seeing each during the school year.
    That fall The Lettermen were coming to my college. Since I did not have a car, I asked her to meet me in Syracuse, NY, so it would have been a bus ride to Syracuse the then a bus ride with me to Oswego and a night in the girls dorm. I had it all worked out even if I had to ride all the way to Cazenovia but she said no, so I sent a dozen roses to try to get her to change her mind but alas she didn't, when I called all she said, in a very giddy way " do you know what it means to get flowers? " over and over, it was my second broken heart. She wanted to go out with Syracuse University guys because they had cars! :(
    Peter, Paul & Mary Tell it so well.
    lemon tree
    When I was just a lad of ten, my father said to me,
    "Come here and take a lesson from the lovely lemon tree."
    "Don't put your faith in love, my boy," my father said to me,
    "I fear you'll find that love is like the lovely lemon tree."

Lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet,
    But the fruit of the lemon is impossible to eat.

One day beneath the lemon tree, my love and I did lie,
    A girl so sweet that when she smiled, the stars rose in the sky.
    We passed that summer lost in love, beneath the lemon tree,
    The music of her laughter hid my father's words from me.

One day she left without a word, she took away the sun.
    And in the dark she left behind, I knew what she had done.
    She left me for another, it's a common tale but true,
    A sadder man, but wiser now, I sing these words to you.

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

Hmmmm maybe a greeting type Kiss (like they do on Jay Leno's show) would be ok?

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

He does sound like a resourceful man and what a way to let you know he was not upset about the cupcake.

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

I think there's a lot to be said for a man who goes the extra mile. Flowers, cupcakes, dog treats-- they all say that this is a guy who is willing to put in at least a little extra thought and consideration.

It doesn't automatically make him Superman, but it sure doesn't hurt.

37. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

Well, I stopped trying to be a Superman when they started removing Pay phone booths, just where could we Supermen change?
    [​IMG]

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

Yet another reason why cell phones will be the downfall of civilization!! :p

39. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 8, 2012

He's not picking me up at my house, we're meeting up for coffee. I'm not sure I mentioned this earlier, but we met online, so this is the first time we are actually seeing each other in person. I guess I wouldn't know what to do with them at the coffee house.

:yeahthat:

That's true. I do have a tendancy to overthink...I am just getting nervous because I really like this guy and I know that he really likes me. I have a hard time meeting men who "get" me (I'm a HUGE, undercover nerd, that reads comics, watches anime, adult swim, gets excited about Otakon, would rather go to a museum than a flashy night club, etc.)

Guys like him are few and far between in my area (most of the guys here are wanna-be rockstars, thugs and players) so he is the first guy that I've actually been looking forward to meeting up with that I've met on my dating site.

He reminds me so much of my best friend from college in that within moments of talking, it was like we'd known each other forever. I don't connect with a lot of people instantly like that, so even though i tried to be cool on the phone, inside I felt like :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

He keeps taking me by surprise -- even in the wooing phase, I've never had a guy say the things to me that he says. He doesn't seem to play games either or seem worried that if he expresses his feelings I'm going to get the "upper hand" or that he'll look desperate.

For instance, the first time we talked he said, "I know this is going to sound weird, but I just want to hug you right now because we click so well and I feel like you're who I've been waiting to meet on this site." :wub: (Of course my inner cynic is like, "Whatever, no one is that nice. He's just playing games and waiting to use you." But my even more inner, mushy romantic is thinking, "Awwwwwwww I feel the same way." :wub:

40. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

I did a CD on a second date one time. We had gone to see School of Rock on the first date, and we talked about how great the music was, so I downloaded the soundtrack and burned him a copy for the second date.

The CD on the first date could be weird unless you specifically discussed some music or something. Meeting online usually means you've been able to have a little more "conversation" than someone might on the first date. If you mentioned you liked a specific band and he didn't know them but said they sounded cool, or if he was coming up with ideas to help you make a mixed CD, etc. - then maybe the CD would make sense.

41. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jul 10, 2012

Never got flowers; but I'm not that type of girl. My hubby (of 24 years) did get me a cactus bouquet when we were dating: I had just moved from Arizona to Germany with my family. I was missing the desert sun and fauna. Notice that he's my hubby and for a good 24 years and going strong :love: