Lackluster Benchmark Performance

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Intervention, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

This is my first year and I have what can be considered to be a "Challenging" class. All are low academically, the highest score being a 75% to 77% on the Language Arts benchmark test. They are good word callers but have little comprehension of what they "read." They had an "Essential Question" that had to be answered before they could leave for recess. They were to answer a question with a complete sentence, pulling information from the text. Many were unable to do so within 10 minutes - even with clues regarding where on the page they should look. Several of them just sit there hoping that the answer will be fed to them. Notes are going home tomorrow regarding test results and behavior to be signed by their parent(s) or custodial adult(s) and returned.

Question: How can you get kids to think when their main concern is getting through what they consider to be an annoyance?

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 7, 2008

Consider: 1) They really don't know how to "read to find out" and/or write a complete answer 2) They know how to do #1 but the "Why should I?" in this case recess is not a compelling incentive that far outweighs just sitting

4. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

We spent several LA periods learning how to take notes. Refreshing their minds on where to find the topic of a paragraph and where the supporting details are. They started out poorly but improved after several days. They are now required to justify any answer they mark down.

5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 10, 2008

So.. this is a work ethic issue? Do they start then stop, fall off-task or not even attempt to head paper, begin?

6. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Feb 12, 2008

Yes. There are work ethic considerations as well as staying on task issues. Lack of support from home is another consideration.

7. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2008

Find ways to make it fun. :)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

And reinforce like anything when they get it right, or even approximately right.

9. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Feb 12, 2008

Tried science baseball. They get questions in advance that they have to locate the answers to. The room is split into two teams. Each correct answer is scored as a hit advancing the runner. Incorrect answers are outs.

10. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2008

Fun does not have to mean just games. They enjoy very much cooperating/working with partners & groups. We learn when we discuss, if you walk around the room listening to them as they work, you will hear a lot of great learning going on.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

How did it work, Intervention?

12. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2008

Really sorry, I completely read that wrong! Time to log off. That sounds like a cool game, Intervention. Can you post the directions? :)

13. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Feb 13, 2008

Used groups regularly but now only on a limited basis. I found that all they were doing was swapping answers for everything, little learning was going on. The demonstrated opinion being, "Why expend effort when I can have my neighbor do it for me." This group tends to get way too social. Tell them to get back on task and they are off task again before you have walked two steps - even with consequences. They know that they will be passed on no matter how they do.

14. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Feb 13, 2008

We are getting ready for the science benchmark exam. Students are given the lesson quizzes for the section and are given time to look up the answers. The class is divided into two teams. The teacher ( designated asker) asks questions. Each correct answer is a single, advancing the runner(s) to the next base. Each incorrect answer is an out. I am going to experiment where more difficult questions are worth more bases.

15. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Feb 13, 2008

Mixed results. Many seemed to get into it. Some were just goofing off and being jerks.

16. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2008

Okay, your class sounds soooo much like the way my 5th graders started out! And every now and then a few of them still try that stuff. Their behaviors are so ingrained from years of being like this that they still fall into that old pattern without even thinking about it sometimes. (They go to another teacher for four hours every day for language arts. They are in our class for math and science.) I match them up with students who are really focused and won’t let them fool around, lol.
    If they still want to get off task, they go back to their desk and have to work independently. Tell them it’s a privilege and to be trusted with it they have to be responsible. You could also model the way the game should be played. I know you have probably done that at least once, but if you have to do it again (and again) until they get it, eventually it will work. Your game sounds like a lot of fun! If you had to pull a kid out here and there for a few days I bet they will settle down quickly.

Next, since you are in CA, did you get a new science adoption this year? If so, did you get Pearson?

17. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Feb 20, 2008

The district chose Scott Foresman.

18. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2008

Oh. We got to vote for ours last year and we overwhelmingly chose Pearson. The set comes with science experiment kits so every few lessons you're doing experiments which the kids love. :) Well, does Scott Foresman have online resources? Pearson has video clips, games, quizzes, the entire book available online for students and teachers, etc.

19. Intervention

Intervention Rookie

Feb 21, 2008

Foresman has similar resources.