Lacking School Spirit

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Boston1234, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Oct 5, 2008

I work at a high school that lacks school spirit. It's a problem with both the teachers and the students. No one goes to sports games, rarely go to plays or concerts, our once-a-year pep rally is a joke (it's not even before a sports event), we don't have any kind of homecoming event...it's pretty sad. What kind of things do your schools do to boost school spirit? I know a lot of it has to start with the attitude of the teachers, so what as teachers can we do and/or plan to get the kids into the spirit? Thanks in advance!

3. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 5, 2008

What about house teams?

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 5, 2008

We had a door decorating contest for homecoming. Each teacher decorated the classroom door to show school spirit. The winner got a prize, a gift card I think.

5. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Oct 6, 2008

I've been talking to some teachers around here, and they're 100% on board for creating more spirit with a homecoming week for next fall. I think this might actually work! Keep any ideas coming! I appreciate it!

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

Perhaps they're just afraid to commit after the last Super Bowl? I heard something about one of those sporting teams up there being projected to win or something, and then coming up a bit short?

:angel::angel::whistle::whistle::whistle:

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 6, 2008

Our school spirit depends on our win record. Sad, but true.

Our current football team is undefeated and even ended a 56 game winning streak for a neighboring team this year.

I decorated my door in school colors with "Don't Mess with the BEST" in funky letters (this kinda stuff is my "thang" though). And within 2 weeks EVERY classroom door was decorated either by the teacher or a group of students.

As I saw other doors getting decorated, I sent out a reminder email that we have other things going on this fall beyond football (soccer, volleyball, stage band, etc) so try to support SCHOOL spirit and not just football spirit.

It seems to be working. But, the results would not be the same if we were not kicking butt in football.

We have the typical spirit week dress up days. Favorites are hat day (almost everyone shows up in a ball cap) and best team day (Wildcats and Jayhawks and Cowboys and Broncos abound) and of course pajama day (this is the teacher's favorite). Fridays are always blue and gold and for the past couple of years groups of students get together and make tshirts for this.

We do the homecoming court thing, too. So, school spirit is pretty easy to muster up during homecoming. I think it is up to teachers to keep it going otherwise ... the door thing is a big hit.

8. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Oct 6, 2008

:beatdeadhorse:

If HS football records had anything to do with our school spirit, we'd have a real problem. Our team wins 2 or 3 games a year :unsure:. But it brings up a good idea of having a theme be Boston sports. Everyone around here has spirit for the Boston teams (wicked spirit!)

This season's a loss for my Pats...I think I'll cheer for the Bills until Tommy is better.

9. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Oct 6, 2008

Just some ideas: For our homecoming week we had crazy hair day, twin day (dress like your best friend), tie day, crazy hat day, and of course Friday (the day of the game) wear your school colors for the pep rally. We never had a problem with school spirit for football, now the other sports didn't get as much recognition even if they had a better record than the football team. Our cheerleaders would sell links (made out of construction paper) for .10 cents a piece and during the pep rally we would see what grade had the longest chain and whatever grade had the longest chain won. I'm not sure who the profits went to, but that was always a good in-house competition. The cheerleaders also sold temporary tattoos of our mascot and they were a big hit.

If I think of any more I'll post them.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

Each of the grade levels has a cheer, and during rallies (which only happen about three times a year) they compete to see who can do their cheer the loudest. Sometimes there are silly competitions, like wrapping a member of the class in toilet paper. Also, we have spirit days on Fridays when members of the ASG come in during fifth period and give candy to every student who is wearing blue and orange. There's a definite incentive to participate in spirit activities, because the class with the most spirit points gets a nice donation to their class treasury.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2008

I am elementary, but even our school has a monthly school spirit day. We wear school colors, the cafeteria colors things with the school colors, etc...
    We also do a week where we have "hat day", "pj day", etc...

I'd try to organize a hat day or something. Start small!