Lacking Experience. What to do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gemgirlxoxo, Jan 6, 2012.

1. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Jan 6, 2012

Hello all,

I recently got my Master's in elem ed and will be getting my certification in special ed shortly. I feel like I am never going to get a job though. Besides student teaching for one semester, I have no experience. I know experience is really important to find a teaching job, especially when there are so many people applying for the same position. I really don't know how to get experience either. It seems like most people get experience by working as teacher's assistants but being that so many teachers where I live got laid off, many of those teachers took those positions, which will make it hard for people without experience to even get those jobs. Another thing is that those positions only pay about 10-12$ per hour and I really need to start making more money. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to get more experience and also things that I could do to add to my resume (I don't feel like I have much to put on there)?

Thanks so much.

3. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jan 6, 2012

Wish I could offer some advice, but I am in a similiar boat. Seems most public schools want you to have public school teaching experience. I have student teaching, 1 year as a day to day sub, and now I'm a lead preschool teacher at a church preschool. But that experience doesn't seem to count for much. I just hope a school eventually gives me a chance. But with all the laid off teachers with lots more experience than I have I have to wonder if that'll happen.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2012

Try teaching after school or before school programs at a local school. Maybe look into offering a class at a park district or library. Join your schools local PTA/PTO and volunteer to help out at their events.

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jan 7, 2012

Coming from the same area that you are from, I can tell you from experience that it will be very difficult. This is my third year looking for a job. I have been lucky enough to land a job right out of college three years ago as a building sub in a wonderful building, but my district does not hire subs for leaves or full time positions. To every other district I've interviewed with, the subbing does not count as experience. I have a second job at a tutoring center where I teach 2-3 classes a "semester" (fall, spring, summer) and am responsible for planning the entire curriculum, assessing the students, giving and grading weekly homework, quizzes, exams and projects, and recommending them for future courses. It is a lot of work and comparable to the work of a regular teacher. I went on an interview yesterday and felt as if I was laughed at by the interviewing P for considering this experience and putting it down on my resume.

On LI, you truly have to know someone in order to get experience. And to get a job, you need experience to get experience. You need experience as a leave replacement teacher to get a leave replacement job, and you need leave replacement experience to get a full-time position. Substituting and being a TA do NOT count as teaching experience on LI.

6. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jan 7, 2012

If you teach at a regular private school, the experience WILL count on the salary scale for public school districts. Mine did. It depends on the school district and the state (for licensing requirements re circumventing testing requirements if you move to another state). Substituting typically doesn't count as experience.

Your best shot is starting out as a private school teacher.

7. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jan 7, 2012

Not really true, but you are working in a preschool, which is a completely different line of work and with different requirements. Being a teacher at a regular private school will count for experience and will matter more than being just a teacher aide in a public school. After all, the experience in teaching a private school is identical to teaching in a public school. Same skills, though perhaps a different student population.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2012

That's not necessarily true. I do agree, though, that private schools might be a good option. Many people prefer to work in private schools because the school climate can be much better there and for many other reasons.

Is the OP willing and able to relocate? There are teaching jobs available out there, even if they might not be available where you are.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2012

That's what I was going to suggest. Even if you only for a year, you'll have some experience on your resume if you would want to try to look for jobs back in NY after you work a year somewhere else. One of my friends did that our first year out of school- she took a job she wasn't thrilled about, did it for a year, and then looked into places she actually wanted to go after her first year. She said she got A LOT more calls with even that one year of experience on her resume. She ended up moving to VA the 2nd year which is exactly where she had wanted to go in the first place. In many places 1-2 years of experience is really going to be the best situation for you when you're job hunting. You're not a totally new teacher, but you're still cheap. Around my hometown many districts even actively had policies that they wouldn't hire any new teachers with more than 3 years of experience. They just can't afford it in this economy.

I think the private school thing varies by location. Where I live private school experience does not count as "experience" on the salary scale, but I would assume it would still be good to have on your resume because it still shows you at least have some teaching experience. It might even be better because you have the experience but they can still pay you as a first year teacher (better in terms of getting hired, I mean).

10. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jan 11, 2012

I agree with the suggestions to relocate. I moved states last summer for a job. It was a little scary at first, but I had done my research beforehand so I knew a little more of what to expect. I love the area and my school, district, and city are a really good fit for me. PS- I was hired with only student teaching and a year of aide experience, so it does happen!

Good luck to you! :)