Lack of Parental Involvement

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Teach In Texas, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

How would you get parents involved in their childs learning? This is for parents of students in a Title 1 school, if that matters?

3. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Jun 6, 2007

Send out letters and let them know whats going on in your room. Have parents fill out a form about their children's interests on open house and let them give you suggestions on how to make it a good year. Leave a space for them to check off certain things that they might be interested in doing like being a volunteer in your room, being a tutor, chaperone, donate supplies, room mother, etc. That way they'll know their options. I know that some parents here don't realize all that they can do in the classroom. I love parent involvement because I don't have an assistant so if a parent wants to come help out one day a week for an hour in my classroom it's awesome.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 6, 2007

Offer parents some options of ways to be involved without coming during the school day (for parents that work). Ask for scissor volunteers - someone to cut out things for projects in the classroom, you can ask for one parent a week and send stuff home the week before on Monday and ask that it be returned by Friday. Ask parents for a list of skills they would be willing to contribute to the classroom - photography; wood work/carpentry; computer skills - typing, photoshop, or powerpoint; or mechanical knowledge are all useful. Invite parents and other relatives to be guest readers or class helpers. Parent newsletters and classroom webpages help parents kep in contact. If most of your parents have e-mail, consider sending the newsletter via e-mail. If you have a younger group make a backpack that has fun things to do that the kids alternate taking home each day or week. Include some games and maybe a bedtime story and stuffed animal. Ask the parents and children to fill in a journal of what activities they did and how they liked them.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2007

We offer family nights that bring families in for food, fun, and prizes. Everyone likes free stuff.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 6, 2007

The first year we didn't have any tracking of parent activities during parent night so many grabbed the free pizza and left without participating in any of the activities. (I thought that was very rude!)

The second year we wised up and had a tracking ticket. The parents and grade level children had to participate in four activities to get the pizza, and other snacks. If they participated in five activities, all the children in their family including the kids who were not in school yet were given pizza and snacks. The parents and kids who participated in five activities were given a raffle ticket for a television.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2007

We have a reading council that works in conjunction with our Title program and the planning is pretty intense- there is accountability for who attends, etc. Some events are only open to the first 150 that sign up. Do you have a reading council? Ours is a local chapter of the international reading association.

8. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jun 7, 2007

What is a Title I school?

9. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Jun 10, 2007

You should have a lot of projects that are draws for the parents. We make movies in my class and then the parents show up to see them. You also want to have attractive looking letters home with clip art and nice looking fonts. A call home at the beginning of the year also helps but it's not absolutely necessary.