Lack of creativity

Discussion in 'General Education' started by daisycakes, Dec 17, 2014.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Dec 17, 2014

I don't need any specific advice since it isn't terribly important, I'm just curious if creativity, as observed in the classroom, has taken a nose-dive lately. I've only taught for 5 years, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I am really surprised how unoriginal my elementary school students think and am wondering if this is a common problem or just a problem at my school.

The best example I can think of is that students sometimes sing a song where they get a turn to pick the name of a sea creature to put into the lyrics. I demonstrate this with different sea creatures (real and imaginary - shark, mermaid, etc.). I elicit other examples from students to use with the class. I even sang them a book/song that taught them the names of 12 different sea creatures. Before each time we play/sing the game, I give them thinking time to think of a name and keep it a secret for when it is their turn. Then I prompt them to think of a "back up" in case someone else uses their answer.

However, months later, you better believe that when the first kid picks "octopus" the next 12 kids will also just say "octopus." If I stop the game and prompt them to pick a DIFFERENT sea creature, they will just go back to whatever name was said before octopus or stare blankly.

Do you think this is my teaching environment (Low SES, urban, ELL) or do you think it is universal? I can remember when I was kid, we seemed to all be trying to outdo each other with off-the-wall answers and variations all the time, so this is surprising to me.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 17, 2014

The teaching world of high-stakes testing and marginalizing music and art programs doesn't lend itself well to inspiring creativity in children.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 17, 2014

Not to mention their freetime is playing the same video games or watching the same movies over and over again. My sister and I could entertain ourselves for hours making up stories with our paper dolls or making up new games to play outside. I don't think that imagination is encouraged as much as it used to be.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 17, 2014

I don't think students have changed too much, but the classrooms sometimes have due to pressure from admin. I even notice it in myself in teaching. I am highly creative in some subjects that I teach, and not as much in others. I notice that my students show less creativity in the areas that I do less creative lessons.

I have a very creative class this year. A couple of years ago, my class was so uncreative, I felt similar to the way you do. I think some groups for some reason are a real challenge to creative methods. Others take to it like a bear to honey.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 18, 2014

It's probably more about laziness than creativity. It takes work to be creative, and brain power. Effort that students don't want to exert. They're used to things being easy. Fill in the blanks, copy from the books, or the teacher just giving them the answer.

It's part of the reason why I don't always show examples of projects when I assign them, because I'll get 200 carbon copies of the example I showed.