Lack of Accessible Training Materials Online

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutNglue, Mar 2, 2014.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2014

I'm just venting today. I am annoyed that I can't find the same stuff everyone else can for free online because it doesn't have captions. I can't even watch stuff for further learning.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 2, 2014

I'm pretty sure every single one of the education courses I have taken on Coursera has closed captioning.

Might be worth looking into.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 2, 2014

How very frustrating... What happens when you contact the creators of the videos and ask them to go through the closed caption process? Do they respond? Are they at all receptive? That makes me so upset for you... :/

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2014

I'm not looking for an actual class bros. I'm looking to create a workshop for my staff. This is a very old video that I owned at one point. The library used to have it too and no longer does. It has the 10 minutes I need for free online and I can't access it. I can pay the $50 again if I was being fair to the creators. At the same time, there are other things online and not captioned most of the time. It's just annoying. In the past most don't respond and some even have special exceptions why they don't have to do so. One day. I often have issues with webinars too. I usually just find something else. This time I really just wanted to search for anything like it and pretty much if it is online and short, it's not available.

(Just in whine mode. That's all.)

P.S. Weather.com clips online aren't captioned either. That gets old too. Already contacted them. No surprise they don't answer.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2014

Youtube has built in autocaptioning on most of their videos now. It isn't perfect (and in some cases is pretty bad) but I have to imagine it is better than nothing.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 3, 2014

Actually it is Youtube that caused this rant. I don't bother with the auto captions. In MOST cases it is pretty bad. If you turn the sound off and try to use it, you'll see that it isn't even close to being anything useful. Some people used to try to put some form of open captions on their stuff until Youtube started that. Now nobody does because they assume it is taken care of. It's one of those things I wished they had never released until it was much better than it currently is. It was a nice thought that ended up making things worse.