Labeling the "Bully"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iteachbx, Jun 24, 2013.

1. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2013

The post about the citizenship award got me thinking...what does it take for you to categorize a child as a "bully." Is it one incident of bullying- if so, can they ever redeem themselves from this label? How? If it's more than one incident- how many, over how much time?

Are there any other factors that come into play? What if the child is more of a follower- following a bigger "bully" (I'm thinking in girly cliques where one girls is the "queen bee" are her little followers bullies too or are they just followers?)

Can a child be a bully sometimes and not others?

Does home life play a role? What if the child has no role models at home about how to treat others- or worse- is seeing negative behaviors at home- probably where the bullying is coming from.

I know bullying is a hot topic and there are definitely big issues with the way children treat each other in schools today, but do you ever think kids are being labeled too easily or too quickly as the "bully?"

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2013

I think of bullying as engaging in repeated mean/cruel behaviors that target a specific person or persons.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2013

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

My GS has constant troubles because he defends his friends from the bullies. The school does not take into account that he was attacked. Defining bullies is a slippery task.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

I think those are very interesting questions, with the most important one being the usefulness of labels in general. How are our intervention or prevention efforts aided by insisting on labeling particular behavior "bullying behavior?" From a prevention standpoint, I think those definitions become more important because staff and students need to know how to identify particular behavior and what to do in response. From an intervention perspective, it's probably less helpful because you wouldn't use "bully" interventions that were pre-packaged, but an individualized approach that would go beyond labels.

So, I see labeling bullying behavior as helpful, but not in labeling students themselves as bullies, as once a student would fall into the category of a "bully," the label really ceases to be useful on the "student level," though could lead to some potentially useful hypothesis generation on the "behavior level."

The classic and research-accepted definition includes 3 parts:

1) Intentionally harmful
    2) Power-based (person engaging in the behavior holds a position of power over the student, whether formal or informal).
    3) Repeated

7. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jun 24, 2013

I once had a student tell me she was being bullied because another student wouldn't share her snack.

Sometimes the term is overused or people jump to conclusions immediately.