Labeling Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by TXTeacher4, Jul 25, 2005.

1. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I have purchased a lot of books for my classroom. Does it matter how I label them? I have seen label stickers and stamps that say "This book belongs to..." I don't see why I would buy those things and spend extra time when I can easily open the book and sign. Am I missing something?

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 25, 2005

I just write my name on the inside with a marker or pen.

4. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I bought a stamp over the summer because they were on sale. I like them because I can have my students or room parents stamp items like that. Yeah, it can be done with a marker, but I just wanted a stamp!!! :)

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2005

My name goes on the inside with the genre written under it. :) I just write it in felt tipped permanent marker.

6. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

I was thinking of buying those $3.95 for 500 labels that are always advertised on the Sunday paper for my books...has anyone used those or know whether they are any good?

7. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

why I use a stamp...

I have around 500 classroom books (and growing), so I invested in a stamp with just my last name. It saves me writer's cramp, and the stamp can be used on anything that belongs to our family. I used only the last name so my hubby can use it, too, and someday our kids. Lotta use for under $10! :D

In response to the newspaper ad labels:
    We've gotten them for our return address labels. The picture ones are similar to what you could do on your own computer, only they may be of slighty better quality and you'll save yourself the headache of formatting. The metallic ones are nice, too, and you won't have to feel like you paid for something you could have done at home. :p Oh, one more thing: the ink will rub off if the label is creased or put in a high-friction location like the spine of a book. Inside the cover should be fine. :)

8. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I purchased a self-inking stamp for around $6 online that says "This book belongs to (name)". It has been wonderful- saved me time and money buying stickers. And it looks nicer, too! It has paid for itself over and over!

9. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Camcdade, where online? What website or company? It would be of great help!

10. allisonstorn

allisonstorn New Member

Jul 26, 2005

I have always written my last name on the front cover and inside the back cover with a Sharpie pen. It hasn't failed me yet!

11. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I'm sorry! It's been a couple of years and I don't remember the site. I think I just did a search for stamps and came across a site that had a low price on them.

12. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

I print my own labels on the computer, it's pretty cheep. The reason I put my name on the outside is that it's more noticable. I have had children come back after the summer and say "I found this at home." If my name wasn't on the outisde, for some reason I don't think I would get as many back. When I put the labels on my books, I also tape the binding. This helps keep the books last longer.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2005

I usually write my last name on the inside cover. I have a stamp with my name, but I usually misplace it when I need it. Address labels work great too. It's usually whatever I have around when I get back with the new books. I have over 800 books and my volunteer (mom) writes my name in them too. It's really what ever works for you.

14. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 27, 2005

I write my name in pen on the inside cover of all of my books. I have also seen teachers who write their name with a sharpie on the front cover.

15. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 28, 2005

Thanks for the responses! You all are wonderful!