Labeling books in your class library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, May 16, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

May 16, 2013

Do you label your classroom library books (ones that belong to you) with your name? If so, how do you do it? I was thinking I might do that to help ensure they do not get mixed up with other teachers' books, school library books, etc. My ideas include using those sticky labels, but I'm not sure if it should go on the back, inside cover, or somewhere else (of if there is a better idea).

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    :):thanks:

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 16, 2013

I write my name on the inside cover.

4. RuralPAteacher

RuralPAteacher Rookie

May 16, 2013

I write my name on the inside cover, but I also put a small colored sticker on the spine. I use all pink circles because pink is one of my favorite colors. This way when I am pulling my books out at the end of the year they are easy to spot.

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 16, 2013

I write my last name in large block letters across all the pages (the side opposite the spine).

6. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 16, 2013

Name stamp on inside cover and back cover and a sticker with my name printed on the outside cover :)

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 16, 2013

I put my name on the inside cover. Generally they're kept in separate bins from the school's books anyway. On the school books I put the F & P letter on the outside cover, it helps to easily differentiate between the two.

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

May 16, 2013

I stamp the inside of each book with my name stamp

9. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 16, 2013

I write my name on the inside cover, and I also have an excel sheet with a list of the books as I bring them in. This way I don't have to open up every single book to figure out if I personally purchased it or not. These ones I'll be bringing with me if/when I leave the school or change rooms.

Some books were left by the previous teacher, and were purchased with the class budget. Those I don't label with my name, but I do have stickers identifying the genre, so that's an indicator that they're from my classroom.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 16, 2013

I put my last name on the upper right corner of the front cover. If it's a super popular book, I might write it again on page 5 or 50 in case the cover "mysteriously" gets torn.

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 16, 2013

I stamp the inside front and back cover and on the outside pages opposite the spine.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 16, 2013

I take a Sharpie and write it on the top right corner of the cover, fairly large.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 17, 2013

I go a little crazy, since I've had issues with large numbers of books being stolen.

I write my name on the top of pages and the side (so you can see it with the book closed) and put a sticker on the inside that says "This book belongs to Ms. Chebrutta."

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 17, 2013

I also write my name on the inside cover with a Sharpie.

I'm still not sure what to do when my name changes next fall...I have so many books!

15. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 17, 2013

This, I got a stamp from Vista Print and use it on the top outside set of pages on every book.

In my dreams I also have all my books marked by genre. :whistle:

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 17, 2013

In genre the thing now?

F&P posted that categorizing by level was out and that we should have leveled genre/topic bins. (Ex: "Dolphins" bin with A-Z books in it.) I guess kids can still shop at their level while maintaining interests.

I have found my kids ignore the level every single year, so I might just reorganize by genres and topics this summer.

Also, OP, I write my name on the inside cover as well.

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 17, 2013

Books that are mine have my last name in them. Many have my maiden name, I just never changed them.
    Books that belong to the room or school have my room number or room number with the grade level.

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 18, 2013

Even when I do it by subject or genre I generally keep them somewhat group by level. I have Historical Fiction L-Q and Historical Fiction R-T, etc. With something like "Animals" I could have a range of books from levels A-Z. I really don't want my D reader "book shopping" through a bin that varied.

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 19, 2013

Ditto!

But I teach middle school SPED. The D readers are real serious about not letting anyone know they're a D reader. And they hate all the D books.

(Sigh. :|)

20. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

I had similar problems when I was in 4th grade. It was my beginner ELLS though and they were Bs and Cs. I barely had any books for them anyway :(

Now I have a wider variety, but D is hard to find for older kids. At least when they get a little higher into the G/H/I range there are more nonfiction books available. I feel like the nonfiction ones can be more age appropriate for older kids and not as babyish. At this point my lowest is a G.

21. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

I ordered address stickers from Vista Print that say "from the Library of Mrs. F. Please return when finished." I take the time to put the sticker on the binding and reinforce it with tape. I don't keep my eye on my books very well, but when they are found somewhere, people put them in my mailbox.

22. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 20, 2013

Permanent marker.

I write my name on the edge of the chapter books (like on the page sides) and on the cover.