LA teachers- Elements of Lit?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Cyndi23, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Does anyone use this text? I used it a few years ago and will be using it again next year. I am wondering how you structure your class. I have 5- 52 minute class periods and need to fit in: Lit, novels, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and writing. I am trying to come up w/ a schedule or unit idea and am stumped.

Thanks for any ideas!
    Cyndi

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 14, 2006

After our new books come in this year, I'll have 15 sets of textbooks in my room. (I'm a packrat.) Elements of Lit is the one we got last adoption cycle.

I'm not a fan of using ONE textbook and running my whole class from it. I plan my units for the year by using our program of studies, core content for assessment, national standards, and then pulling from a variety of sources.

If you'd like to know more about my units, let me know.

4. zus_123

zus_123 Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

I will be teaching 7th grade reading for the first time. I would love to know more about your units.
    Thanks for sharing and helping!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 15, 2006

We sat down several years ago and mapped out our entire year based on our core content. We were AMAZED by how much easier the year went with everything planned out. Some people were afraid that they wanted us to get so specific that we'd all be on the same page of the same book at the same time. It's not that at all. We just put our units in order for the year, and then we planned a "focus" for the day. So, if you went into any of the four 7th grade language arts classes on a given day, we'd all cover the same topic at the beginning of class, and we'd all be in the same UNIT. We were never covering the exact same thing, however. It helped a lot when we had kide change classes, which we did quite a bit. That way they didn't have to repeat or miss anything.

Here's a link to our focus calendar from last year. I'm currently working on ours for this year because the state has revamped our curriculum for the coming year.

Our students are tested in reading and writing in 7th grade, so we combine the two. Our units are poetry, memoir/the story story (we put them together and often use first person short stort stories to help with memoir writing, persuasion, informational/non-fiction, and practical/workplace text. We also teach novels, but we throw them in whever we can because we have to share the novel sets.

We chose to begin with poetry so the kids could use the figurative language in their other writings. Then we branched out into short story/memoir during a period of time when we have few disruptions to our schedule. (longer periods of time to read/write) The other units are shorter in terms of most assignments being "one day" type of things. We miss lots of days for bad weather in the winter, so the shorter assignments work better then.

http://www.geocities.com/mrs_hill_ecms/FFocus050.html

6. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 15, 2006

In my county, we use EoL as our Reading text. I'm not sure what the LA teachers use.

7. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 15, 2006

Ima Teacher--Thank you SOOOO much for that link! I don't know if I'll be teaching reading this year (just got special ed license, will probably be an IS in my building), but I will definitely share it with the LA teacher!

8. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

Yes, I also use this book in my classroom. Do you know what edition you will be using? I am still using an older edition but will be starting with the newest during the 07-08 school year. The book has great stories... but not the best in grammar and spelling excercises. Will you be getting the Grammar books too? In my classroom, we use a Kansas University Sentence Writing Strategy to cover grammar and spelling. We complete it as a warm-up and/or with journals every day to get the writing piece in. I do a little reading every day in class and a Word of the Day for vocabulary. On Fridays, we do review days with crossword puzzles or word searches to review past Words of teh Day and also things we covered in class. We do 15-20 minutes of SSR every Tues. and Thurs. and a Read Aloud on Friday. I have 5 90minute blocks every week- so lots of time compared to most! It is great! Hope this helps! If you need anything else or have questions- feel free to ask! :)