La Petite Academy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by ksmomy, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Feb 13, 2005

I was wondering if anyone would share their experiences teaching at La Petite Academy. I am in the process of seeking a new job and there is one in my area. (North Carolina) Thanks!

3. Cole

Cole Companion

Feb 13, 2005

My niece and nephew both went to a La Petite in Texas.

My neice is was completely just a before and after school program, she was in 1st grade.

My nephew was in their Pre-K, 3 year old area.

I did not like that they would not make the school age kids do their homework (there wasnt even really a table set up for them if they had wanted to do it). Because of this, sometimes she had pretty late nights and not able to do homework until after dinner.

The Pre-K program was pretty good. My nephew really excelled in this program. By the time he left, he was writing his name (more or less...he decided he didn't like the letter "N", so he would use an "A"...and he'd tell you that as well).

But even in the Pre-K program, it seemed as if although they were supposed to be pretty structured and really good, they would allow the children to control the situations.

For example...if a child decided he/she did not want to listen to a story bc he/she was playing with something, although it was story time, they let the kid.

It may have just been the one that they were at, but I was not impressed with them at all...especially since they are supposed to have this great reputation and were pretty expensive.

The thing I REALLY liked about it though was the security they had in place.

There was no way you were picking up a child if you did not have their name, your name wasnt in the system, and you didnt have a passcode...

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2005

My cousin at one time worked there and said she hated it. However, she also "daycare hops". In other words, she always finds something wrong with her place of work and will never be satisfied until she wins the lottery in order to never work again. She has no work ethic-I know this because she use to work for me and has had more than like 10 different childcare jobs in the last 6 years or so.

No matter on the place, you should research it within your community. One LaPetite may be horrible when another one may be wonderful. It all depends on who is running the place.

5. loopy_uk

loopy_uk Rookie

Feb 21, 2005

What is 'La Petite Academy'? Is it some kind of school or something.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2005

It's a "chain" childcare. Much like a Kindercare or Children's World if you know either of those. Think "McDonalds", but as a daycare.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 21, 2005

I worked for the same company that owns la petite academy. They own an organization called Montessori unlimited. (it is approx. 50 montessori facilities in the U.S.)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2005

Off topic- but great new pic, mommaruthie!

9. Karin

Karin New Member

Feb 21, 2005

As I run another child care center in the area, I would like to not say anything negative about the La Petite in my town, but I would like to suggest that you look into smaller (maybe even non-profit) centers in your area. Smaller settings for younger children just seems to me to be more conducive to the child's emotional well-being. Also, smaller centers usually allow for more friendly contact with the parents and a less rigid environment. Good luck with your decision!

10. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Feb 21, 2005

ROFL
    is that a statement as to the quality ;)

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2005

No-I just didn't know if you knew what Kindercares were or chain daycares. I was just trying to give you an analogy to help understand what it was. As to the quality, I am unsure. I do agree with Karin about the smaller centers. They just seem to be more personable. I haven't been at a big center that I was impressed with yet.

12. kady

kady New Member

Apr 10, 2005

I work at a La Petite Academy in North Carolina, and have been with the company 7 years. Many of my colleagues have been with the company 10 - 15+ years. Among the reasons I love my job, and would highly recommend it to any teacher who is qualified and serves as an appropriate role model for children are: they have high standards and expect quality both from their teachers and of their programs; they offer excellent benefits; the curriculums are the very best I have seen of all the competitors, both private and corporate; the opportunities for growth and advancement are plentiful and encouraged for those interested.

To reply to "Cole," I'm glad you enjoyed the pre-k program in Texas overall. The one concern you had with the children not being forced to do what the group was doing--is not just that center, it's part of La Petite's program, as well as any center that supports and implements developmentally appropriate practices. Children at this age should be encouraged to participate with teacher-directed activities, but never disrupted from something they're otherwise engaged with. This is considered best by the industry leaders, including the top organization of professionals, the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

We also do not force school-agers to do their homework at the center. However, they should have had an area where they could work on homework if they chose to do so, because this is part of what our program offers. However, homework is best done at home where it is intended--at home. Quality time with parent and child doing homework together is an integral part of parent involvement in their children's school experiences. Additionally, the home environment is more conducive to more intensified studying, concentration, and one-on-one assistance.

Good luck with your job search, KSMOMY!