L.A. Teachers: Related Texts Help!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MrsDW, Jul 20, 2009.

1. MrsDW

MrsDW Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

Hello!
    I am an 8th grade L.A. teacher looking for related texts (short stories, novels, poetry, essays, etc.) that build on the themes found in the following books: The Outsiders, Avi's Nothing But the Truth, and/or Flowers for Algernon. Any ideas you could offer would be much appreciated!

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I just read "The Music of Dolphins" by Karen Hesse, and it reminded me somewhat of "Flowers for Algernon." It is about a feral child who was raised by dolphins and her experiences as she is educated in the world of humans. She reminded me a lot of Charlie and his plight.

4. helpforteacher

helpforteacher Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

We have taught The Cay along with The Outsiders at my school for a few years. If you haven't read it, it's a wonderful story with a very similar theme (but a very different story) to The Outsiders. It's a pretty quick read, but challenges students to think about people in different ways.

5. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

This past year I started with Nothing But the Truth then taught Blackwater by Eve Bunting. They both feature kids who don't tell the truth (or omit important details) and then get into even deeper trouble. There's some mystery/suspense involved as well, which the kids really like.