KS job lined up, but now - an interview! Gragh!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by madderhatterme, Apr 11, 2012.

1. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Apr 11, 2012

Brief Recap:
    I have agreed to move forward with a job in Kansas. I am from NH, so I would be very far from my family. Other than that, the job seems like a really good fit. I agreed to go down and do a "final interview" in early May, but have been assured that the job is mine for the taking.

Last night I got an email from my favorite school offering an interview. The one that I applied to while on vacation in Puerto Rico, skipping a beach trip with my fam so I could furiously type out an application. This school is perfect for me in every way - small, urban, and a performing arts charter school. I have a degree in Eng Ed, but my undergraduate work was music/opera. This was my top choice all along, but it had been so long that I kind of just let go of the dream. Best part? It's 2 hours from home. Far enough to be in my own world... but I could actually go home for a weekend. For Thanksgiving...

The interview is Thurs, April 26th. I'll be going down in person.

I already know my plan of action: go on the interview, see what happens.

But what if May comes around, and I haven't heard. Do I gamble everything and pass on the Kansas job? Do I give up my dream school and take the KS position.

My stomach hurts.:confused:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2012

Go on the interview. If things seem to be going well,ask the charter their timeline on making a decision. You can let them know they would be your first choce but that you are interviewings elsewhere as well.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2012

I would let the interview committee know that you have a position in KS, but that you would much rather stay closer to home and a job at ABC school would allow you to do that.

5. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

Apr 11, 2012

I believe that you should be 100% honest in this interview and mention that you have a timeline (in a non-arrogant way of course). I have seen many teachers 'roll the dice' and give up a guaranteed job chasing after a job opportunity that never happened.

I remember the saying 'a bird in hand beats two in the brush' and I believe that you should get something in writing (not verbally) from this school before passing up the KS opportunity.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2012

I agree with being honest with them. I'd definitely take the interview because you never know what the future holds. Good luck!