KS job lined up, but now - an interview! Gragh!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by madderhatterme, Apr 11, 2012.

  1. madderhatterme

    madderhatterme Rookie

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2010
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 11, 2012

    Brief Recap:
    I have agreed to move forward with a job in Kansas. I am from NH, so I would be very far from my family. Other than that, the job seems like a really good fit. I agreed to go down and do a "final interview" in early May, but have been assured that the job is mine for the taking.

    Last night I got an email from my favorite school offering an interview. The one that I applied to while on vacation in Puerto Rico, skipping a beach trip with my fam so I could furiously type out an application. This school is perfect for me in every way - small, urban, and a performing arts charter school. I have a degree in Eng Ed, but my undergraduate work was music/opera. This was my top choice all along, but it had been so long that I kind of just let go of the dream. Best part? It's 2 hours from home. Far enough to be in my own world... but I could actually go home for a weekend. For Thanksgiving...

    The interview is Thurs, April 26th. I'll be going down in person.

    I already know my plan of action: go on the interview, see what happens.

    But what if May comes around, and I haven't heard. Do I gamble everything and pass on the Kansas job? Do I give up my dream school and take the KS position.


    My stomach hurts.:confused:
     
  2.  
  3. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,959
    Likes Received:
    2,116

    Apr 11, 2012

    Go on the interview. If things seem to be going well,ask the charter their timeline on making a decision. You can let them know they would be your first choce but that you are interviewings elsewhere as well.
     
  4. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Apr 11, 2012

    I would let the interview committee know that you have a position in KS, but that you would much rather stay closer to home and a job at ABC school would allow you to do that.
     
  5. Xidous003

    Xidous003 Companion

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    2

    Apr 11, 2012

    I believe that you should be 100% honest in this interview and mention that you have a timeline (in a non-arrogant way of course). I have seen many teachers 'roll the dice' and give up a guaranteed job chasing after a job opportunity that never happened.

    I remember the saying 'a bird in hand beats two in the brush' and I believe that you should get something in writing (not verbally) from this school before passing up the KS opportunity.
     
  6. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Apr 11, 2012

    I agree with being honest with them. I'd definitely take the interview because you never know what the future holds. Good luck!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. miss-m
Total: 223 (members: 5, guests: 184, robots: 34)
test