korean boy with severe separation anxiety PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by emifinan, Aug 23, 2006.

1. emifinan

emifinan New Member

Aug 23, 2006

Hello everyone. I work at a preschool with 3 year olds, from 3-6pm every week day. There is a teacher from 8am-3 who deals with the children all day long, and when she leaves I take over.

There are two twin korean boys in the class who have been in the United States for 2 months and in preschool for 2.5 weeks.

Twin #1 is well adjusted. He understands what is going on and will nod yes/no to a question, and will repeat words.

Twin #2 will cry from the moment he leaves the car to the moment his parents pick him up. His mother, in broken english, explains that he is afraid of people who speak english. His father, in broken english, explained that in Korean preschool he was slower than the other children.

When there are two female teachers in the room, and one leaves, his crying intensifies. When any adult female enters the room and leaves his crying intensifies.

The only time he stops crying is to catch his breath.

This sounds like severe attachment problems to me, emotional problems. As stated, his brother is doing fine.

Please do give opinions/advice, I need all the help I can get.

Thank you

Emily

3. teachder

teachder Companion

Aug 23, 2006

i use to teach korean kids here in the states. Do you know any korean words? That helped me....the kids actually find it funny when you try....simply words like turtle, dress (ch-e-ma), mom(o-ma), dad(short o sound-like in opposite- before pa) long o sound before pa is brother. The song happy birthday is easy so is the phrase "what is that?". To get any kid to stop crying, i ask them questions...do you want mommy? okay well, you have to wipe your tears and color her a picture first. Should it be red or blue? I usually try a few things, but I've also found that if you are sure they are not hurt, then just keep a distant watchful eye but go about the day, talking with the other kids. Other ideas would be play with him and other kids in the drama area...with him in your lap so he feels safe while you are playing. Be silly. You might want to ask the parents if they could leave and come back within 30 mins. that way it gives you enough time to get him in a happy mood but it's not all day where he could slip back into the thought of missing mommy/daddy. Do it a couple of times each time getting longer. Good luck. By the way, hello is also very easy to say and you might want to bow or at least head nod. All of this makes the child feel that the things he does know are important and okay.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 24, 2006

Teachder has given you some good ideas. Here are my additions:

1. Help him calm down. Using Korean words will help. Ask the parents to send something comforting from home.
    2. Put up photos, pictures of his parents. He can check in with them whenever he needs to. (Include all the other children in this--they will enjoy it.)
    3. Tell him that everything is okay--in his language. And tell him that it is okay to stop crying. You would be surprised how often this works.
    4. Keep searching for something that makes the child feel comfortable--it is there.
    5. You might have to refer him for an evaluation--if he really is delayed as the father reported.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 24, 2006

If the dad is questioning the abilities you may want to tell the family about "child find." Google your PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM in conjunction with "child find." For example my google would be "CHICAGO CHILD FIND" Early intervention is KEY--- I teach ECSE--- Hope this information can help a bit. The district will be required to test the child in KOREAN-- and if there are problems found he will be eligible for some sort of EI (before age 3) and ECSE (3-5) services.

6. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Aug 24, 2006

I don't really have any suggestions. I had a Spanish speaker last year. She understood very little English. I did speak a few Spanish words to her but she still cried every day for weeks. Finally her mom decided not to send her back and now she is adjusting well to Kindergarten. We also had a 3rd grade boy who spoke very little English. He cried every day for almost a month.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 24, 2006

How sad that the young boys leave their homeland, come to a strange country and in less than 1 1/2 months are placed in another strange place.