Korea/Vietnam/Cambodia

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ms.History, May 15, 2012.

1. Ms.History

Ms.History Rookie

May 15, 2012

I am almost finished with this unit and have a couple (Maybe 2-3) extra days to play around with... Does anybody know of a great movie, documentary, or activity for this topic?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 15, 2012

I don't know of any movie that would be of use, but maybe you could read some excerpts from the novel First they Killed My Father about a girl living in Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge.

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 15, 2012

5. Ms.History

Ms.History Rookie

May 15, 2012

I have shown that in one of my elective classes; it's very powerful! It's definitely one consideration; thank you!

@bandnerd - I am looking into that book, and hoping our library has a copy. Thanks!

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 15, 2012

:)

It's one of my favorites, next to The Last King of Scotland and Hotel Rwanda.

7. mikemack42

mikemack42 Companion

May 15, 2012

If you're talking about South Korea, The Brotherhood of War is a good one. A little cheesy and over the top, but a decent dramatization of the war. Here's the IMDB page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/

8. Ms.History

Ms.History Rookie

May 16, 2012

I just watched some of the Death of a Shaman trailers -- it looks very interesting and I'm going to see if I can track down a copy of it, possibly for next year. Thanks!

@mikemack - If I remember correctly, I believe I rented The Brotherhood of War and it was entirely in Korean; is that the right movie? I remember thinking that it might be hard to keep the students' attention. However, I never watched the entire thing, so I may be way off base here. Thanks for the information!