Kony 2012 -- A video gone viral in my school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StudentTeach, Mar 8, 2012.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Mar 8, 2012

Has anyone else seen the Kony 2012 video on YouTube? My kids have been talking about it all week so finally I watched it and I had to hold back the tears. The students really want to get involved in part of the movement, which I think is great (that they are passionate about SOMETHING). If you haven't seen it yet, WATCH IT here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&feature=g-logo&context=G2cf5190FOAAAAAAABAA

If you have and your students are doing something about it, tell us about it!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2012

How coincidental--one of the other teachers was telling me about it this morning. Her son has become quite involved and I'm going to show it to my kids after we're back from our break.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 8, 2012

They talked about this on Channel 1 this morning. I've heard differing views about this, and about the charity involved with it.

5. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Mar 8, 2012

watching it now.... on vimeo. hope it is the same video.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 8, 2012

That's it. One of my alum students sent it my way. I've been aware of Kony for a while and am glad his monstrosity is being brought to public attention.

7. hubbopolis

hubbopolis Rookie

Mar 8, 2012

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2012

Our school works closely with Invisible Children. I've found the organization to be transparent, ethical, and representative of its core values.

9. appleaday180

appleaday180 Rookie

Mar 8, 2012

It is incredible how quickly the word is spreading, it is during times like these that I am thankful for social media!

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 8, 2012

One of my students came to class with Kony 2012 shaved in the back of his hair today. I still haven't watched the video, but I'm guessing that it's gone viral here too!

11. hubbopolis

hubbopolis Rookie

Mar 17, 2012

Just in case anyone hadn't heard already, one of the co-founders of Invisible Children, Jason Russell, was arrested then hospitalized after flipping out in quite dramatic fashion on Thursday.

The guy seems to be having a bit of a breakdown after the attention generated from the video. I won't link any of the articles here as some of them are rather exploitative. Just Google Jason Russell if you want more info.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2012

It's huge at my school...but I am uneasy about it all.

13. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 17, 2012

I never thought they were sincere. I'm always extremely skeptical of huge movements like this, especially with the racial factors involved.

14. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Mar 17, 2012

15. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Mar 24, 2012

He apparently suffered a "mental breakdown" from the overall reaction of the video, which included him damaging vehicles and masturbating in the street.

I've laughed for days about it... good god.

16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 24, 2012

I think he should see someone about that. It's not healthy and generally socially frowned upon, artistic license notwithstanding.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

He was diagnosed with psychosis.

18. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 25, 2012

The buzz around this video has, of course, prompted people to look further into the issue, and apparently the video mischaracterizes the current situation. It also represents an "America can save the world" attitude. Stimulating students to work for social justice is admirable, but critical thinking (and background research) should be a requisite part of engaging in such a project.

19. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2012

I agree with this. I'm not fond of the video.

20. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 25, 2012

I'm (sheepishly) with Speechy on this one. I suppose there is joke in here about America's love/hate relationship with the automobile, but I can't quite get it to come together. Still, what a story arc!

1) Man aspires to bring more freedom to the world.
    2) Everyone applauds, in mindless unison.
    3) Skeptics murmur.
    4) Man gets nervous, engages in self-abuse and vehicular mayhem.
    5) Man loses freedom because insane.

It's a postmodern King Lear.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

I don't think a psychotic mental breakdown is artistic expression...if that's truly what happened here, I would hope 'society' would have some compassion.

22. EpicBacon

EpicBacon Rookie

Mar 26, 2012

I haven't done a fair amount of research to come to any conclusions, but apparently the video is really misleading.

I do know that Jason Russel (the guy that made the video) recently had a public outburst where we obsessively swore in public naked..

It's not a charity that I'd consider donating to, but I suppose it's nice to raise awareness on the situation.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 26, 2012

The link that Amanda posted, by someone who has lived through the situation, notes some oversimplifications in the presentation but by and large endorses the video.

If a video like this can get people motivated to care what happens in Africa, I say that Jason Russell has done a mitzvah - and I'd say his breakdown deserves at least as much compassion as do the mental or physical breakdowns of famous Hollywood or Broadway performers.

24. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 26, 2012

The video could be used as a teaching tool in many ways. Students could view it as a class and do research on the actual events that provoked the video. Maybe they could make their own social action videos/presentations. I see potential for teaching research and critical thinking skills!