Know anything about tick bites??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherGrl7, Jun 19, 2011.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 19, 2011

Two weekends ago I was working in the garden and got what I thought was a tiny scratch. When I noticed it, it looked like a very small dot of dried blood. I thought nothing of it, figuring I had been scratched. A few days ago the spot itched like mad and I went down to the school nurse to ask for calamine lotion. She started examining the spot and said she didn't know what it was but that it didn't look like a regular scab and if it was itchy it probably wasn't a scratch. She floated the idea of a tick bite, though there was no tick in sight. My mother and boyfriend both suggested that it could be a spider bite. The nurse told me to put a hot compress on it, which I did, and the scab part came right off. Now I have a red area, slightly smaller than my pinky nail. It's not itchy at all anymore- hasn't been for a few days. I don't have health insurance, so I'm stupidly concerned about not going to the doctor for him to tell me it's nothing and then bill me. I know, my health should come first, but before I go the doctor route I'm looking for general opinions from people with tick or spider experience!

I'm also supposed to go back to the nurse in the morning for her to look at it again and see if it's getting better. =)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2011

What shape is the red area? Is it a solid color or does it look like a bullseye pattern?

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 19, 2011

No bullseye. It is a solid reddish color, not quite perfectly round but definitely circle-like. In the center is a small spot where you can see that the scab fell off.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 19, 2011

I don't believe ticks "bite" do they? I thought once a tick got on you, they weren't leaving!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2011

If it starts to resemble a bulls-eye, definitely go to the doctor!

7. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 19, 2011

I thought so, too, Teacher Apr, but now I can't seem to find anything that says definitively that you can't have a tick bite without a tick.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2011

You can have a tick bite without a tick sticking around. My dog used to get them when we lived in a wooded area.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 19, 2011

Ticks can attach, then their body falls off but the head stays. Maybe that was the scab?

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2011

There can be a scab leftover after a tick bite. Lots of times, probably more often than not, you'll see the bite but not the tick.

If there's no bullseye and you don't have weird, big stuff like a fever, headache, or flu-like symptoms, you'll probably be fine. Keep in mind that I am not a doctor, although I have a lifetime of experience with ticks and tick bites.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2011

Ticks aren't one-hit wonders like bees or something. They bite lots of people and animals. It's how they spread germs--they catch it from one and then give it to the next.