Know Anyone Famous?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 19, 2008.

1. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

Years and years ago my now MIL kissed Bert Reynolds on the cheek and she got to meet Dom DeLuis. They were filming a movie in our small town called "The Best Little Whor*house in Texas." My family car was parked as part of background and my dad got a check from the film company for just having it parked in a scene. My sis and lots of HS friends and family (basically the whole town) were extras.

2. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 8, 2009

I don't know anyone personally, but I've met a ton of bands. I ran into Joey Fatone a few times back in his NSYNC days. I was also in a club and Justin Timberlake walked right past me.

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

I am so jealous. I have never really been able to afford to go to the opera. I did get to meet Samuel Ramey after a Lyric Tosca once though. I was interviewing him for the U Chicago paper. I was almost too nervous to ask my questions, but he was such a sweetheart.

When I get a teaching job, I will definitely buy season tickets to the Washington Opera. It still is kind of lousy, but tickets aren't that expensive if you can get the whole season.

If I can see Anna Netrebko do a Lucia or Anna Bolena, my life will be complete. Hopefully she will one day do at least a Bolena recording.

I drank Guinness with Boy George and he gave me the Chanel scarf he wore onstage (back before he apparently went bat#$^$ crazy). And I met Guy Ritchie. He was sitting in the sound booth next to my floor seat at a Madonna concert. He was soft-spoken and seemed kind of shy but he was really nice; he chatted with all of us sitting near him and signed autographs. Security wouldn't let people without tickets onto the floor, but he went over to the edges and signed. Sadly, I didn't get to meet the big M. I got the Edge's autograph on my concert program when I got into the heart at an Elevation tour concert. The other members didn't really sign much, but Edge went out of his way.

I saw Barbara Bush and George Sr when I had floor seats for a Pavarotti concert in DC. That was mostly annoying though since they arrived well into the concert and left early, so it caused over an hour delay for security, practically in the middle of an aria. And W walked right past my seat the convocation at Virginia Tech after the shootings. I was impressed by how little security he had--he went really out of his way to not disrupt the campus. I've never been a Bush fan, but how he handled his visit to us shot hi way up in my esteem. Politics aside, he is a decent guy.

Hmm. And Harrison Ford. I was at the U of Chicago when he was there shooting The Fugitive. I never saw Tommy Lee Jones, but Harrison Ford broke his leg during the shooting and he hung out near the trailers and signed tons of autographs. Some of my friends were extras in the scene where he runs through the library.

I saw Joe Pesci from across the street when he was filming With Honors at the seminary at the U of C. It was supposed to be at Harvard, but they couldn't get permission to film there.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

Let's see...
    I met U2 after a concert, and actually sat and talked with Bono.This was the early 80's when they first became popular. He was extremely nice.
    I saw the guy from Odd Couple-not Tony Randall, the other one, at a Barnes and Noble book signing. (I can't believe I can't remember his name!)
    I met Bob Feller. (for all you Cleveland Indians fans)
    My father ran into-literally-Ernest Borgnine (sp?) in California. My father said he was very nice and polite about the whole incident.
    I knew Mike Golic (football player) when he was a lifeguard at a local pool.
    My mother in law drove Joe Juravicous (sp?) on her school bus when he was in high school.
    Michael Andretti drove back into the pit area after a race and looked right at my son and I and waved. He is gorgeous...
    I saw Cher shopping at Fredrick's of Hollywood once when I was in high school. She had no make up on and she still looked beautiful.

On the different note, I would like to meet the following people:
    Hugh Laurie from House (my secret crush)
    Little Big Town (country band)
    Brad Paisley (just awesome)
    Ellen DeGeneres (too hilarious!)
    Jesus (one day!)

5. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Mar 9, 2009

I met Jerry Seinfeld in Las Vegas. He was kind of a jerk. He did a stand up routine then he sat at a table in the back of the club. I walked up to him (keep in mind I was very young, like 15) and asked if I could please take a picture with him.

He goes, "How's about a nice handshake instead?"

I just stared at him and said, "I'd rather have a picture".

He winced, groaned then said, "Fine...okay..."

Needless to say, I was kinda crushed and didn't smile much in the photo

6. KDS

KDS Companion

Mar 9, 2009

i work at a PBS station and we were supposed to have a phone interview with Elmo.
    i cant TELL you how crushed i was when that fell through.

7. asgirl

asgirl Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

I live in the town that P.L Travers (author of Mary Poppins) was born.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 12, 2009

Funny! I hadn't seen this thread until now...

When I was a baby, we were in Kansas and Bob Dole was there running for something (Governor? Senator?), and like a true politician, he picked me up and used me for a photo op! The photos were in several newspapers/magazines. Funny thing is, my parents really didn't know him, so they didn't save any of the pics!

I played catch with the members of Sawyer Brown when they played our county fair in 1989. I was 10, and they were hot, hot, hot! In the Gibson's parking lot...

Other than our senators and governor, no one famous ever comes here. Even when they have movies set in Nebraska, they're always filmed somewhere else!

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 12, 2009

For a while, I worked - a side job - in a box office at the local multi-plex theater in the Chicago suburbs.

It was Father's Day morning and I sold tickets to a nice looking man, his children, and a beautiful woman. Soon after that the theater was abuzz. Did you see him? Who? Brian Urlacher (famous Chicago Bears player). Oh yeah, I sold him the tickets. Didn't know it was him (the woman was a girlfriend-not the mom of the kids...guess it was pretty scandelous at the time).

We started talking about meeting famous people. I hadn't met any. "In fact, the only athelete that I MIGHT EVER recognize would be Michael Jordan." A few hours later, who comes to the window. Michael Jordan! Cool.

A few people later- and totally unknowing a guy comes to the window with an old Chicago Bulls/Jordan tee-shirt...and he buys a ticket to go to the same theater/movie that MJ is in. I can't SAY anything (it would be my job)...but I said to the guy. When you go INTO the theater...just keep your eyes open!"

The theater staff was on total alert to make sure that MJ had a NORMAL and un-bothered theater-experience..and he thanked us for the attention to MAKING it normal for he and his family on Father's Day.

Weeks later the kid comes to my window and says... "do you remember me? You told me to keep my eyes open. What was with that?" When i told him that MJ was in the theater... he was so upset he was that close to his idol and didn't see him.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2009

This is so neat to read all of these posts!

I am not surprised by Oprah's "I'm all that and a bag of chips" attitude, to be honest. *snarl*

I am related to Patsy Cline. I am not sure exactly how, but I am. Could explain the musical gene that runs extreme in my family.

My great-grandfather (or is it great-great???) was a good friend of Jon Dillinger and helped him hide his get away cars back in his day. Ironically, my husband's great uncle (or great-great) was one of the police officers that shot Jon Dillinger down. My husband's grandpa still owns the pearl handed pistol that shot at John Dillinger and keeps it up north in his gun cabinet. My husband will inherit it through their will. I guess I married the "wrong side". Ha!

A good friend of mine has a cousin who is currently touring with Third Day and Brandon Heath (Christian artisits). He plays the keyboard and does background vocals for Brandon Heath.

My Great-Grandmother use to work for a recording studio. During that time she aquired a LOT of famous signatures. She gathered the signitures in two books, one for my aunt and one for my mom. In these books are thousands of names that are worth a LOT of money. In a fit of rage over something my grandmother did (since my grandmother was not a very nice person, to be honest), my mother lit her book with a match and turned it to ash. Arg!!!! It could have been worth a LOT of money. My aunt still has hers.

I am going to be recording my first full length CD this year...so maybe you all will get to say "I knew JenPooh from AtoZ" someday.:lol: I can only dream.:cool:

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 15, 2009

John Beasly is from my hometown. He has had some parts in TV shows and movies (defensive coach in Rudy). He started a theater with some of his earnings and has performed on stage in town a few times. I was able to go watch a one-man play of a character's life. It wasn't HIS life, but he played the role. I think that was when the theater was just getting started soon after Rudy.

12. amethyst24

amethyst24 Rookie

Mar 15, 2009

I have been fortunate enough to meet:

-All of the big time NASCAR drivers like Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Richard Petty, Kyle Petty, Tony Stewart, Denny Hamlin, Kurt and Kyle Busch, Michael Waltrip, Mike Helton, and the list goes on and on-- I got pit passes to races in NH

-Josh Turner
    -LeAnn Rimes
    -Clint Black
    -Carlton Fiske (Red Sox)

-I live about 20 minutes away from where Adam Sandler grew up-- he comes around every so often-- I have yet to see him

-George HW Bush and Barbara walked by me in my home town while campaigning when I was about 6.

I've been pretty fortunate!

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2009

:eek:hmy::eek:I am super jealous! I LOVE Adam Sandler! He's one of my favorite actor/comedians!:cool:

14. Ross

Ross Comrade

Mar 15, 2009

My family was shaken hands and received hugs from:

Mickey & Minnie Mouse
    Donald Duck
    Mary Poppins
    Tigger
    Buzz Lightyear
    Pluto
    Chip & Dale
    Captain Hook
    Peter Pan
    Belle
    The Beast
    Genie
    Jafar
    Eeyore
    Winnie the Pooh
    Merlin
    Mr. Smee
    Goofy

and many more friends.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2009

Amethyst24,

I live in a very small town in Texas. There is this bar call the Longhornsaloon. Anyway when I was growing up it was not a bar that I would go into. BUT now the owner is Clint Black's brother, Brian and his wife Charlotte. I love Clint, but Brian is so much better. He sings way better!!!!!!